ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#96261 11/14/05 05:13 PM
S
Steve T Offline OP
Does 225.26 refer only to open individual conductors that are supported by a porcelain knob or similar, OR for any conductor, whether in a cable or not, even if supported by a messenger wire with strain insulators?

Does anyone have any manuf spec on fittings, equipment, details of how to properly span and support OH conductors. I am dealing with lots of holiday lights on both public and private properties. There are many installations where insulated conductors are wrapped around tree branches strung from tree to tree, pole to tree, pole to pole, etc. and then christmas lights are wrapped around the pole or tree. I am trying to get a handle on these types of installations and before the questions come, I am trying to get prepared by anticipating them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#96262 11/14/05 09:34 PM
Steve:
What I think you're getting at is "holiday lighting". Around here, it falls in NEC 527; Temporary ('02 NEC).

Basically, GFI for all circuitry, a 'safe' wiring method, as determined by the appropriate NEC article.

Clearances should be the same for open conductors, cable, etc.

"Support" and attachment basically is a 'judgement call'. As to the 'tree' thing, basically, it's only a 'temp' install, not permanent, so it's usually OK.

How about opinions guys......Don, Bob, Ryan??

John

John
#96263 11/14/05 10:25 PM
G
I always felt the NEC just went on vacation in December. I could never rationalize the junk people string in the bushes around the house and staple to the eaves with the wiring we demand the rest of the year.
I doubt most of this gets GFCI protection (it gets fished out a window) and they certainly don't have any load calculations.

Greg Fretwell
#96264 11/15/05 05:51 AM
I
How about opinions guys......Don, Bob, Ryan??

I was chicken. [Linked Image]

Greg's post seems to have much truth in it.

I see no NEC permission to use vegetation as support for the branch circuits, feeders, or festoon type lighting.

IMO the feeds have to come up the tree from the ground to each individual tree.

By the way all, be careful out there if you are involved in large holiday displays.

Last year in this area an electrician was killed installing holiday lights.

He was given a bucket truck to use with little training, he ended up tipping it over. Not the way his family wanted to spend the holidays. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#96265 11/15/05 07:06 AM
R
I always felt the NEC just went on vacation in December. I could never rationalize the junk people string in the bushes around the house and staple to the eaves with the wiring we demand the rest of the year.

It seems to me that more and more are never taken down, they just get plugged in each year with out any clue to the condition they are in.

Roger

#96266 11/15/05 02:17 PM
G
Are resturants and bars the worst offenders in your area too?

It seems they get the CO before the decorators show up and they will use whatever they find on sale at *-Mart to light up the place. I see the cheapest looking holiday light strings stapled to the rail of boat docks over salt water where the customer might be standing in an inch of water when he ties his boat up to that rail.
The more I see the more I think this electricity stuff can't be that dangerous or we would be tripping over bodies.
... but I know better.
I guess god looks out for drunks and fools.
One of the worst offenders is the city/county when they have an outside event. I know we are supposed to be inspecting carnivals and fairs but when the government does it they seem to be immune.

Greg Fretwell
#96267 11/15/05 08:22 PM
"I was chicken.

Greg's post seems to have much truth in it.

I see no NEC permission to use vegetation as support for the branch circuits, feeders, or festoon type lighting."

Bob:
I was not trying to imply that what I mentioned above was the least bit "NEC"

Yes, a branch circuit with a GFI, and a bubble cover at the base of the tree/bush/whatever are MANDATORY; that is NOT considered "temporary". I stop there. Whatever gets plugged in.......

Also, I'm not fond of extension cords from tree to tree, but....legally I have no authority to do much, unless there is an open construction permit for the site.

I see some really brutal stuff at the catering hall lots (wrapped trees), but again, they have the circuit/outlet/etc at the base of each tree.

I'm trying to maintain political correctness but....it's still "Christmas Lights" to some of us.

John

John
#96268 11/15/05 09:06 PM
R
Greg, I see it from mobile homes to banks and everything in between.

My wife and I kid that when the icicle type lights (that are popular) are strung, they become permanent to the structure and can not be removed. [Linked Image]

Roger

#96269 11/16/05 09:06 PM
P
590.4(J) Exception:
For holiday lighting in accordance with 590.3(B), where the conductors or cables are arranged with proper strain relief devices, tension take-up devices, or other approved means to avoid damage from the movement of the live vegetation, trees shall be permitted to be used for support of overhead spans of branch circuit conductors or cables.

A small change in the '05 NEC.

otherwise vegetation is not permitted as support overhead.

Pierre Belarge
#96270 11/22/05 11:19 PM
S
Steve T Offline OP
PCBelarge--

Thanks for reading the 05 for me. I forget to reference it because we're still on the 02.

That little exception makes a big difference. Of course I just have to get the latest version adopted which is no quick task. Thanks again!!

Link Copied to Clipboard