ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#96226 11/10/05 01:59 PM
C
Hello Guys and Gals:

Just wanted to see what the prevailing opinion is concerning 2005 NEC 344.46.

I feel this states that all RMC entering a box, etc. requires a bushing. This is also the way I have always installed RMC.(even when it was called GRC [Linked Image]

Several other inspectors disagree and believe the FPN referring to 300.4(F) indicates this is only true for #4 and larger.

I believe the Code panels do not repeat themselves and the FPN is simply a way to give additional information regarding wires #4 and larger and has nothing to do with the requirement for bushings on all RMC.

FWIW The situation is a new installation with multiple 3/4" RMC stubs into the bottom of several panels. The number is close to 50, so it would be a large amount of re-work to install the bushings as these panels are hot and the building is almost ready for occupancy.

Thanks,

Jim

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#96227 11/10/05 05:03 PM
I
Jim I agree with you.

344.46 Bushings.
Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the design of the box, fitting, or enclosure is such as to afford equivalent protection.

It seems pretty clear to me that all RMC will have bushings regardless of wire size.

The same can be said off RNC.

352.46 Bushings.
Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection.

and IMC

342.46 Bushings.
Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the design of the box, fitting, or enclosure is such as to afford equivalent protection.

I can't see how these sections could be misunderstood.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#96228 11/10/05 05:34 PM
W
As I read it, a bushing is required for _all_ RMC entering a box, but that for conductors #4 or larger a smoothly rounded _insulating_ surface must be provided. Presumably a _conductive_ bushing is permitted for conductors smaller than #4 as long at it appropriately protects the insulation.

Of course the font of all knowledge (google) provides a discussion of the solution in Mike Holt's forum: http://www.mikeholt.com/cgi-bin/codeforum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=008514;p=

Arlington Adjustable Throat Liner http://www.aifittings.com/m_6.htm

-Jon

#96229 11/29/05 03:51 PM
C
The head electrical inspector for this state(not mine) has determined that bushings are not required for smaller than #4.

Everyone else I spoke with about this agrees with us.

Thanks for the confirmation, guys!
Jim

#96230 11/30/05 09:49 PM
T
The #4 threshhold is specifically for EMT and other such raceways.

RMC, IMC, etc. require bushings up and down their range: there are no exceptions: 344.46.

300.4F Handbook detail lays this all out.

Tesla

Link Copied to Clipboard