ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
Just a reminder...there are rules...and then there are the exceptions!

When we wire receptacle for general use, we follow one set of rules. That set, however, has ten 'exceptions,' or special cases where different rules are followed. Two of these exceptions are ranges and welders.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
I do not believe there is a need for a specific exception for ranges.

A 50 amp single receptacle can be supplied with a 30 amp branch circuit.

A 100 amp single receptacle can be supplied with a 30 amp branch circuit.

This is the rule for single receptacles.

220.21(B)(10 Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 11-15-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
J
renosteinke....

When I was learning to use the parachute, we were told the 'chute needed a minimum of 200 ft to work.

Now, I suppose there is someone out there who will claim to jump all the time from 190 ft, and never had a problem. Or 180. Or 170.....

The point is, you can shave the rules all you like, but sooner or later you're going to run out of luck- and go SPLAT!

Hmmm, skydiving / receptacle ratings, never got the connection before. I think you're right. The reserve might open in 200'-300' but they teach you to have pack opening by 2500'-2000' & make your decision to cut away or ride what you've got by 1800'. All I know is that once you've pulled all your handles, it seems to take 179 minutes for the thing to open.(That & you owe a case of beer.) That 20 amp plug gives them better odds of having their product work properly. That ugly orange & black warning label on the center cell at the tail of my Raven doesn't help me keep from bouncing but it might help the folks that made my chute. That 20 amp plug could save the mfg & cook your keester if something goes wrong.

So if I have to unplug something in an emergency, do I look, grab, protect, pull, punch or look, grab, look, pull, pull?
Joe

A
This reminds me of the size wire in a light fixture. I know code says ok, but how can you tie in fixture wires usually about 16 gauge to a 15a or 20a circuit?

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
I
I know code says ok, but how can you tie in fixture wires usually about 16 gauge to a 15a or 20a circuit?

Because the design of the light fixture will prohibit the conductors being overloaded.

If there is a short circuit or ground fault those short pieces of 16 AWG will still cause the breaker to trip.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard