ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#96097 11/02/05 11:46 PM
G
Say someone retrofitted a new panel and installed a gutter above the panel to splice the short cables.
Assume they feed all the spliced circuits into the panel via a single big nipple.
Can they just put an isolated neutral bus bar and a ground bar in the gutter feeding back to the panel with two appropriatly sized conductors?

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
Yes.

I do it all the time with EGC's, however, I'm not sure about doing it on the neutral...if you lose that large jumper, you may fry some of your loads. Maybe it would be better to parallel 2 or 3 conductors for redundancy?

If you look at "column width" panelboards, they do this as well, with a large j-box at the top with a wireway going down to the panelboard.

G
The inspector might be interested in how full the nipples are and what the neutral load is and what size the wires are that you are putting in parallel.

George Little
G
Actually "fill" was one of the reasons I though this would be done.
If you took the example of 20 120v 20a circuits, you would have 20 blacks, one 2ga neutral and one 4ga EGC. (~.55 sq/in) That fits in a 1.25" @ 36.33%. You can load a short nipple more than that and a 2" nipple would give you lots of breathing room.
Any 240v circuits without a neutral load could come down in another nipple.

I agree you can't parallel anything smaller than 1/0 but if you wanted "belt and suspenders" for the open neutral concern, you could parallel a 1/0 neutral, adding an extra .14" to the fill.

Greg Fretwell
W
Code has explicit permission for multiple sets of feeders sharing a single suitably sized neutral, and has explicit permission of multiple ungrounded conductors _with voltage between them_ sharing a single neutral (multi-wire branch circuit), but I don't recall anything that either permits or prohibits multiple circuits sharing a single suitably sized neutral.

I would be rather uncomfortable, for example, with 2 #12 conductors on the same supply leg fed through 2 20A breakers, both sharing the same #8 neutral. The installation being discussed here is essentially an extension of this sort of concept.

However the strongest reason that I can come up with for not sharing the neutral in this nipple is that it would not work with any sort of breaker that needs to sample the neutral current, in particular GFCI and AFCI breakers.

On the parallel conductors, while you are not permitted to parallel conductors smaller than 1/0, I be comfortable with smaller conductors paralleled for redundancy, with 2 provisos: the conductors are all in the same conduit or raceway, or are in non-metallic conduit, and that each individual conductor be suitably sized to carry the entire load. Basically, if no hazard would be created if the parallel connection would fail, then I would be comfortable with more relaxed requirements for parallel conductors.

-Jon

My 2 cents:
As winnie said, GFI/AFCI excluded, I see no problems with what you proposed, and your spec.

Now, as to sizing the ground.....would you not base the ground conductor on the size of the OCP, or the largest OCP for the branch circuits involved??

(That's an opinion someone laid on me, I tend to agree with Greg's specs)

John

John
E
e57 Offline
See 300.3(4)
http://www.markhellerelectric.com/300.3(4).pdf

You can do it... But something tells me, at least, at one point or another the auxilliary gutter was to be listed for the purpose, but if you are allowed to do it in any junction box, I might start doing it myself more often, just to get rid of some fill in some of the tighter panels.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
I
I challenge anyone to point to a code section that prohibits using one properly sized grounded conductor for multiple circuits as Greg described or for any branch circuit wiring.

The 2002 NECH even shows how it is done. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Exhibit 225.3 A 120/240-volt, single-phase, 3-wire system (branch circuits rated at 20 amperes; maximum unbalanced current of 80 amperes).

[Linked Image]

FWIW I do not understand the worry expressed in loosing the neutral, if we worry about that than how would we install feeders or services?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
Bob- you've selected a very unique example for your point and I have never seen this type of installation installed. It is only usable outside as 225.7 states. All other type of installation would have us sizing the neutral to match the individual branch circuit.

George Little
I
George please cite a code section that prohibits doing this in any branch circuit.

I have been down this road before so you have an up hill battle. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard