ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 559 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
I belive that there is only implication that this is not allowed, but no actual code to back it up.

The physics certainly works.

Bob pointed out the explicitly permission for a common neutral in 225.7 for _lighting_ equipment installed _outdoors_.

215.4 explicitly permits feeders with common neutral. You are explicitly permitted to install 6 ungrounded conductors (for 2 separate three phase feeds) with a _single_ suitably sized common neutral. If I read this correctly (and I've not delved too deeply), I don't even see a requirement that these feeders originate from the same panelboard or even the same system. Imagine the possibilities for ugliness [Linked Image]

210.4 permits multiwire branch circuits, and article 100 has a definition (Branch Circuit, Multiwire) which specifies that the ungrounded conductors in a multiwire branch circuit have a voltage between them.

300.3 has explicit permission for the shared neutral bus in a gutter attached to the panelboard.

One could argue that the lack of explicit permission for common neutral branch circuits in article 210 implies that they are not permitted,...but IMHO this is a rather weak argument that would not stand up legally. It most this lack of explicit permission or prohibition suggests that this is an extremely uncommon practise.

-Jon

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Winnie- I agree with you. I have read this post over a coupla times and I have been enlightened by your response and Bob's. I don't see this as a routine installation and all it really amounts to is an extention of the neutral bus. If I were to inspect this type of installation I would be asking for some calculations, you can bet your bippy on that. See, Inspectors are human [Linked Image] (some of them)

George Little
I
George if you ever do see this installation let us know. [Linked Image]

I have never seen it and can not think of a way to pull it off for less money than the standard wiring methods.

By the time you use boxes with enough CI and buy connectors to terminate the large common neutral I think you will have spent much more money.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
E
e57 Offline
If you have the Feeder, and all the branches running through the gutter. (For other reasons, like accomadating entrance to the panel anyway.) Why not just pull the nuetral bar from the panel and re-locate it in the gutter. For Resi AFCI's, or GFI breakers that would require a neutral connection in the panel, I guess it would not work...

As for codes to back it up, does this work?

366.2 Use.
Auxiliary gutters shall be permitted to supplement wiring spaces at meter centers, distribution centers, switchboards, and similar points of wiring systems and may enclose conductors or busbars but shall not be used to enclose switches, overcurrent devices, appliances, or other similar equipment.
(commentary)Auxiliary gutter sections and associated fittings are identical to those of wireways, and if listed by UL, bear the UL listing mark “Listed Wireway” or “Auxiliary Gutter.” They differ only in their intended use. See the commentary following 376.2 for a comparative discussion. Gutters (and wireways) are required to be constructed and installed to ensure adequate electrical and mechanical continuity of the complete system per 250.118(14).
... From 376.2 Unlike auxiliary gutters, which are not permitted to extend more than 30 ft from the equipment they supplement, wireways may be run throughout an entire area.

FYI: I do this with Grounds all the time... Terminate them and bond accordingly to the panel ground with a single conductor. Not neutrals, but if allowed I might start to rethink of doing it for them too.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 11-06-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
As Bob said, we've been here before. [Linked Image]

Is it a violation wired this way?

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard