ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#95839 10/12/05 07:31 PM
L
"When I inspect one of these facilities and I see a piece of equipment with a cord cap on it that has a green dot on it, I expect the circuit supplying this piece of equipment to comply with Article 517."

"On the other hand the "hospital plug" might just be there to please the guy who spent so much money on the hospital receptacles"

I'd say that the instructions for the device in question should be the deciding factor. If it says "This equipment must be . . ." then it must be.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#95840 10/12/05 07:43 PM
D
A question that I thought of:

What if this is a clinic and not required by 517.

And then a couple months/years down the road, the doc decides to do minor surgeries, like lasic and such, or does treatments.

Will the whole facility now have to be required to meet 517?

In short, re-wire?

Dnk....

#95841 10/12/05 08:08 PM
H
DNK,

I think that everyone here is all about safety. If not we wouldn't be discussing all of these issues. However, I believe that we can "try" to worry about the "What If" scene, but we can't always be able to take care of it. By that I mean, if I inspect a job and it meets the present NEC, then I must pass that job. I can't always worry about, "WHAT IF" someone adds, blah, blah, blah. If someone does add a large piece of equipment and the work he does, doesn't meet the code, then I would fail the job. Too many times though, people add stuff to the house and office and don't get permits, and since there are no permits, we can not inspect the job. If I had to worry about the "What IF" problem, then all buildings I inspect would have to be able to withstand a crash from a 747 airplane, with stand earthquakes and hurricanes of very large sizes.
So bringing it back to an eye care place, if the doctor decides to operate on eyes a few years after I inspect his office, then it is his responsability to make sure that it meets all of the proper codes. This is my opinion only mind you. [Linked Image]

#95842 10/12/05 10:47 PM
G
I just think this "hospital" thing has gained a life of it's own, far beyond any reasonable safety issue. It makes perfect sense when we are talking about things where they shave you, put on paste and attach electrodes or open you up and stick things in your body but some of the incidental contact you have with the various machines in a doctor's office are no more hazardous than the barber's clippers or the handle on a slot machine.
I saw a big deal made about "hospital grade" stuff made in a dentist office and virtually everything there was air or water powered. The only electrical things I saw were the light that the patient never touches and the Xray, which was all plastic on the outside.

I was just the "bank inspector" so I was just an observer. The EC ended up ripping out drywall to put in medical grade AC replacing the MC he had used for a receptacle that a PC was going to be plugged into. The PC plug did not have a green dot on it.

Greg Fretwell
#95843 10/13/05 10:01 PM
Not to throw salt on an open wound...
"I'd say that the instructions for the device in question should be the deciding factor. If it says "This equipment must be . . ." then it must be."

Kind of a bad move to find out that HG IS required when the equipment is delivered to a finished office.

Had a 'rough' last week....written on plans "exam room 1" etc....wired in MC. Red sticker...GC had a fit....had a quick discussion....re-roughed with HG next AM.

Patient treatment rooms are HG, offices, reception, halls, etc are 'regular' suitable wiring method.

We have had numerous issues with "flex" space being converted to medical office space and using "existing" wiring, but that's another tale. (Change of Use)

John

John
#95844 10/14/05 09:32 PM
T
Clearly all of this is motivated by fear of the institutionalized tort machine: trial lawyers.

Get used to way, way, way overkill whenever and wherever these boys show up.

The double ground is a 'belt and suspenders' legal defense. It is not motivated by technical concerns. It is linked to hospitals, etc. because of their propensity to be on the receiving end of killer lawsuits. And they are on the end of these suits because they can pass on their embedded insurance expenses to all of society. That is what the socialization of medicine entails.

You should wire all such establishments with creative lawsuits in mind.

Stop thinking rationally.

Get paranoid.

Tesla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard