ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 361 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
OK,

We know that Table 450.3(B) indicates that primary OCPDs alone, are adequate to protect the transformer. However, you always have secondary conductors.
We also know that 240.21(C) also permits primary OCPDs alone, to protect secondary conductors under certain conditions.
The question is, are we talking about 2 different issues (xfmr secondary protection vs. secondary conductor protection)?
I believe that Table 450.3(B) values for primary only protection are actually used only if & when you are taking advantage of the 4 exceptions in 240.21(C).
Otherwise, secondary protection is always required.
Anyone else?

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 10-04-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
The rules in 450 have nothing to do with the rules in 240. 450 covers the transformer and only the transformer. 240 applies to the conductors and not to the transformer.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Redsy Offline OP
That's the source of my confusion, Don.
Under what conditions would you be protecting the transformer secondary, but not the conductors?

What application would you need to refer to Table 450.3(B) and not 240.21(C)?

J
JBD Offline
(1) Start with primary protection only, 450.3(B).

(2) Then use 240.21 for the secondary conductors.

(3) Now go back and look at 450.3 and see if the OCPD chosen using 240.21 will allow (but not force) you to change the transformer primary device.

Don't forget that a main device in a panelboard can also be used to meet the 240.21 reuirements.

D
I have always looked at it this way:
When the transformer is sized for the load as well as the secondary conductors size correctly and secondary protection is properly sized to protect the conductors then the transformer is protected from overload.
Should you size the pri. OCPD to also protect the transformer from overload it is redundant OL protection. If the pri. OCPD is viewed as short circuit protection because the transformer already has OL protection then the pri. OCPD is viewed as taking the transformers off line should the transformer short circuit internally and fail.
I believe that we agree that transformer overload protection of a delta-delta transformer can be done from the primary only as the secondary doesn't have a neutral. Currents seen at the secondary are seen proportionately on the primary.
But with a Delta-wye that has a neutral the L-L currents seen on the primary don't necessarily reflect those L-N currents on the secondary so a pri. only OCPD can not adequately protect the transformer from OL.
And, as such, pri. and sec. OCPD are provided and one could opt for the 250% pri. OCPD but you must pay attention to that 25' tap rule.
In summary the sec. OCPD protects the transformer from OL and the pri. OCPD protects the distribution system from a transformer failure.
Dave T

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks for the input, guys.

Link Copied to Clipboard