ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
http://forums.nfpa.org:8081/pcsubmit/pctop.html

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I think that the title of ARTICLE 402 - Fixture Wires should be changed to:

"ARTICLE 402 - Luminaire (Fixture) Wires"

The term "fixture wires" should also be changed everywhere it appears to "luminaire (fixture) wires"

R
Thats a good point, Joe. I hate the word "luminaire", and I think the substantiation to change to "luminaires" was cheesy. With that said, now that it is done, it should be global, including "fixture wires".

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Ryan:

If this was submitted it would go to all 19 CMP's, and if it was accepted would make the Code more "user friendly".

PS: I still think that "NM, NMC, and NMS" should be changed to "NM-B, NMC-B, and NMS-B", never mind the existing FPN we need to be specific!

J
I wasn’t sure that the phrase fixture wires meant those wires for a light fixture until I set here and searched ever hit on this CD. The only times that the word fixture was not related with the word luminaries was in chapter nine the annex and article 402. After careful reading of 402 I am convinced that this is referring to those wires having to do with luminaries.

Therefore I am convinced that the proposal should be made to change the title of 402 from ARTICLE 402 Fixture Wires to ARTICLE 402 Luminaries (Fixture) Wires as well the phrase Fixture Wires needs to be changed to Luminaries (Fixture) Wires.

Now who is up to the job? If you intend to make this proposal please reply here. It won’t matter how many different people make the proposal.
[Linked Image]

Mike
T
Was the word Luminaire was added to the NEC in an attempt to internationalize the document or was it done to make it clear that it refers to a lighting fixture? Does any one here know what the thinking was on that.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
G
"Fixture" was said to be confusing because plumbers and machinists use fixtures too.
They wanted a unique word that implies lighting equipment.

IMHO "Luminaires" sounds like one of those 50's singing groups with blazers and skinny ties.

Larry and the Luminaires, coming to you from the Bullwinkle ballroom, high atop the Rocky Hotel in downtown Frostbite Falls Minnesota.

Greg Fretwell
H
Joe,

You want 2008 proposals already? This state hasn't even adopted the 2005 NEC yet! How do I know what I want to change it 2008, when I didn't even read 2005. Just kidding, but it is true about the slowness of my state. We are still using the 2002 book, so I don't get to read 2005 much. We were suppose to adopt the 2005 this past summer but it's not adopted yet. This state doesn't even want AFCI's yet. This is one of the reasons, I haven't made a proposal change lately, by the time I want to change someting, the NEC is 2 code books ahead of me. [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
Well, I made my half dozen proposals. Quick and painless- but then, I'm trusting that the computer actually sent them somewhere! :-)

I can only pray that submitting them wasn't like peeing in a dark suit (making me feel warm all over, but going unnoticed by all).

R
I have sent in over 100. [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard