ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bomzin Offline OP
I was having a discussion with someone on a differant board and it was brought up that Aluminum wire could not be used to feed from service to panel. It was a not an electrician. Is this true and what is the reasoning behind it. Here in the state of Utah it is all that is used and don't see any problems with it when used correctly.

He also stated that for any home that is going to have central AC they had a 200 amp minimun on service requirments. Regardless of your load calculations.

Whats the scoop on this.
Thanks Bomzin

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
In my experience the issues of aluminum wiring and 200-amp minimum services are both local ammendments to the NEC by the AHJ, not Code issues.

Dave

B
I have been told various things by mis informed people as well. The last one was that #14 wire is no longer allowed in new construction. This same person was "helping" a friend with a 200 amp upgrade, they were at Home Depot buying a piece of 2" EMT for the overhead riser. (Our POCO requires IMC). I just smiled at them and said good morning.

J
My granddad was a wise man. One of the few times that he spoke he told me that it is sometimes better to keep thy mouth shut and thought a fool than to open it and let it be known.

This is a good example to a good time to keep his mouth shut.
[Linked Image]

Mike
B
Bomzin Offline OP
Ok so it looks like Tiger thinks this is true with local codes writing it in and possibly 2 that think this is mis information.

I see it as possible, Tiger do you know this to be true or just taking a guess? Who is AHJ?

ty
Neil

B
Bomzin Offline OP
Doh, Authority having juristiction , I knew that. Just put in an e-mail to the city inspector. Will post when I get info from the source.

Neil

L
I've seen homes with what was no doubt a greater current load in window A/C's than a central system would have provided.

Unless one is going all-electric, replacing several window units with a central system doesn't always need a service upgrade.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
G
Larry You might be right in a practical sense because the window shaker load is hiding in the 3va per foot general lighting. Once you make it an HVAC load it has to be taken at nameplate value.

Greg Fretwell
M
Really??? Aren't window shakers considered fastened-in-place equipment and therefore have to be tallied on a service calculation (that is assuming they were planned for when the electrician installed the service).

Mark
Kent, WA
B
Bomzin Offline OP
Yes of course if the window unit were planned on you would have to consider it. Even after the fact it should be considerd.

The question still lies. If you do the math on a home in Knoxville and come up with only needing a 100 amp service or even a 125 but becuase you have electric range dryer and an AC unit you will be required to install a 200 amp service.

Also is aluminum wire ,SER, allowed or not from service to panel and if not what is the reasoning behind any of it .

Anyone from the city of Knoxville I mailed has yet to respond.

Just curious
Neil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard