ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 331 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#95391 09/08/05 09:03 AM
E
em3sw Offline OP
The company I work for manufacturers pre-fab steel shelters for various utilities and recently we had a request I've never dealt with before.....two 240vac 1 phase, AC panels, on exact opposite walls (400amp MB in each), with one feeding the other through feedthru lugs. The customer doesn't want to use the cable tray to get across the room, but rather go through the floor. It's a steel floor, roughly 10" deep (C-channel) and insulated with 1/4" steel plates on top for the finished floor. The run would be apprx. 15' under floor. Originally, we planned on setting PVC in an open channel, before installing the floor,90 degree elbows coming out of the floor below each panel. I say originally because it was going to be 225amps. Now with the 400amp requirement, we're looking at parallel runs of 4/0 and a larger conduit. My question is, can (6) 4/0 wires be bundled up and set to lay loose in the channel in the floor, with either a PVC pipe or wireway coming down from the panels to the 1/4" steel floor for entry into them? (I'd put a wireway adapter or a coupling on the underside of the deck plate to protect the wires as they came up through the floor, we're just trying to avoid an elbow since a 3" pipe would have a rather large radius coming up from the floor if we ran continuous pipe). Sorry for the novel, those still awake, I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#95392 09/18/05 11:45 AM
T
Install a listed wireway beneath a removable floor channel cover.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#95393 09/18/05 07:15 PM
F
i dont know why not use large " LR and LL " ell for each side so that way it will not produte [ get in ] the interoir wall ..

i done this way before and i used large LL and LR but if you can reach it from " outside " area you can use over sized LB fitting for this

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Link Copied to Clipboard