ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 565 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#9549 05/09/02 09:14 AM
B
Sparky, I am very familiar with the requirement for eguipment level GF protection on 480Y/277 volt services 1000 amps or greater. As your post says, the higher voltage and current was causing an unusually high number of burndowns.

The issue here is:
Do you want some selective response to an arcing event, or do you want to cut service to the residence? Other than trying to find the cause of the trip, which is much more difficult and time consuming with a main breaker approach, there is the issue of liability. Let's say that you are on vacation, and the receptacle that feeds alarm clock in your bedroom has a loose terminal that causes an AFCI trip. If you have the protection at the main, you completely lose power to your refrigeration, AC, security system etc. I think most folks would prefer having the protection on each circuit.

#9550 05/09/02 06:20 PM
P
I can speak from personal experience of having to deal with a main GFI on a residential service, and I have to say that it can be a real pain.

Just imagine being, say, in your shower when the heating element shorts to ground and trips the main GFI plunging the whole house into darkness. (Yes, it happened to me!)

Whatever the current financial arguments, from a practical point of view I would urge you not to go toward a main AFCI.

Customers may baulk at the expense of individual branch AFCIs, but I think if this sort of scenario was explained to them they may realize that individual circuit protection is a better way to go, technically if not financially at present.

Re the cost, I don't doubt that as production steps up the prices will come down. Over here a regular 16A C/B runs about $7, but because a 16A GFI breaker is so little used it costs in excess of $50.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-09-2002).]

#9551 05/12/02 04:00 AM
D
Brendan,
If I may ask a question (and if it's already been answered, kindly point me in that way).

Is there a fairly simple way to troubleshoot a AFCI fed 125v circuit that is tripping, without tracing the entire circuit to each connection (device, splice, etc), or spending thousands on a first generation testing tool, or a IR thermo device?

Dallas

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard