ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#95170 09/02/05 02:24 AM
ok i was at an apartment complex today and noticed in the carport(which does have close to a 8/12 pitch) that the electrician used regular 4 square boxes/concentric knockouts with wp connectors and couplings, round mudrings and even plain old porcelin's for light.

reminded me of Homer's trademark "doh!" -- usually accompanied by a Simpsonesque slap to the forehead. not the worst thing ever done but notable. wheres a camera when you need one?

h20

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#95171 09/02/05 08:13 AM
G
They were probably thinking let's save some money and put in a safe code compliant system. From the way you described it they did. Assuming it's not a wet location.

George Little
#95172 09/02/05 03:43 PM
george if they were going to save money wouldn't set screw fittings be cheaper then wp or now raintight.
aren't 4 square boxes limited to dry locations?
hence a carport with open sides would be deemed damp which would go back to my original "what were they thinking?"

h20

#95173 09/02/05 07:54 PM
E
e57 Offline
Funny, just saw a simular band spanking new install on the back of a supermarket remodel in WET location. No doubts about it. RT connectors to a 4S deep and 4S blank. Laughable.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#95174 09/02/05 09:14 PM
Cat Servant
Using regular "indoor" boxes in an aoutoor, protected area is allowed by the code...BUT...

I don't do it, for a reson not mentioned in the NEC...Insects. There is something about trying to remove a device, and seeing all those tiny little legs pulling it back in!
Seriously, I have opened far too many boxes and fixtures, and then found either wasp or spider nests.

#95175 09/03/05 07:15 AM
I
No doubts about it. RT connectors to a 4S deep and 4S blank. Laughable.

Then you would have a sore belly from laughing around here. [Linked Image]

A very common job specification around here is the mandated use of steel compression fittings on all EMT installations. The fact that they are in dry locations and entering NEMA 1 enclosures has no bearing on this job spec.

I have been told that these fittings provide better bonding but I have no idea if that is a fact or urban legend.

Also when you run EMT for fire alarm systems in RI you must use steel compression fittings with insulated throats.

Can be a real bummer if you do a whole job in set screw fittings only to find out compression fittings where required.

And no it did not happen to me but I do know people it happened to. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#95176 09/03/05 09:03 AM
R
Ron Offline
Bob,
Is raceway required for fire alarm systems in RI? Even NYC now allows cable (no raceway) above a height deemed out of the range for physical damage.
I also typically specify steel compression fitting for use with EMT in critical type installations.
I've never seen formal test results, but I spec steel vs. Die Cast Zinc for strength and I spec compression vs. set screw for electrical continuity.

Ron
#95177 09/03/05 09:25 AM
I
Ron

RI used to be almost all raceway for fire alarm systems. Recently they have been loosening up and allowing MC. However the MC must have the RI required insulation colors.

The local large supply houses stock the color combinations that are normally used.

Black and Red

Blue and White

Yellow and Orange

etc.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 09-03-2005).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#95178 09/04/05 04:40 AM
E
e57 Offline
Bob the reason it was laughable was it was clearly a wet location. Not only outside, but under a rain gutter. I have to get a picture. Even when not raining its wet, its near white out of fog right now. And I'll bet the inside of that box is dripping wet.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard