ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#94989 08/26/05 04:45 AM
E
e57 Offline
George,
All codes aside... We're talking about a large tub of water, often installed outdoors. Although GFI fed, you would still have live conductors under the rim of what is technicaly a pool. In an area that could be very wet. Maintained by a pool guy, who may or may not have access to the disco for the feeder, and has a job to do. I would preffer, due to conciance(MS), to even provide wider than work-space requirements for the access to the shut off so he can work. Even though it is doubtfull I would ever meet this person.

Also, I have not seen one with a switch of any kind under the skirt in about 5 years. (May be due to dominant brand in this area)Many barely have room for a flex to the relay box, never-mind a 60A disco, and thatIMO is what you want to shut off. Most of these have 3 modes, jets on, clean, and stand-by/auto.

Here's another oblique method of thinking. All electrical wiring method not assoiated with the tub needs to be outside of 5'. (As it is considered a pool.) Is the portion of the feeder before the disco "associated" with the tub? ("Associated" in listed, factory installed way.)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#94990 08/26/05 09:09 PM
G
e57- All codes aside- I'd agree with you and on my own spa (if I had one) I'd install a switch remote from the spa strictly so I didn't have to open the spa skirt for a disconnect. But if I was in a competitive biding situation, I'd offer it as optional. I have inspected spas with a two pole GFCI as the disconnect under the skirt.

George Little
#94991 08/27/05 03:18 PM
E
e57 Offline
Disco under the skirt in the '99 cycle, there would be no debate, its a violation.

680-12. Disconnecting Means
A disconnecting means shall be provided and be accessible, located within sight from all pools, spas, and hot tub equipment, and shall be located at least 5 ft (1.52 m) from the inside walls of the pool, spa, or hot tub.

2002 changes the wording and organization of the article.

680.12 Maintenance Disconnecting Means.
One or more means to disconnect all ungrounded conductors shall be provided for all utilization equipment other than lighting. Each means shall be accessible and within sight from its equipment.

And... (Which is something else in the '99)
680.22(C) Switching Devices. Switching devices shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 1.5 m (5 ft) shall be permitted.
Panelboards, time clocks, pool light switches, and so on, where located not less than 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of a pool without a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier, must be out of reach of persons who are in the pool, thereby preventing contact and possible shock hazards.

I wonder what 2005 has for wording....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 08-27-2005).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#94992 08/27/05 03:40 PM
G
680.12 added "readily" to accessible. No screwed down cover.

Greg Fretwell
#94993 08/28/05 09:10 PM
L
If I may ask a related question...

How does one measure the 5' distance? What if the disconnect were under a deck surrounding a halfway-sunken tub, meaning that the bottom half of the tub is visible below the decking?

Is the distance measured in a straight line, ignoring physical barriers, or along a pathway that, say, a rope or one's arms must take from the tub's rim, around the deck's edge and/or skirt, and back under?

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#94994 08/29/05 02:13 AM
G
This is the handbook commentary,
"Panelboards, time clocks, pool light switches, and so on, where located not less than 5 ft horizontally from the inside walls of a pool without a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier, must be out of reach of persons who are in the pool, thereby preventing contact and possible shock hazards."

You could easily argue that the deck is a barrier which prevents someone in the spa from touching the switch

Greg Fretwell
#94995 08/29/05 05:46 PM
L
"You could easily argue that the deck is a barrier which prevents someone in the spa from touching the switch"

I can, and I shall. Thanx!

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard