ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#94837 08/15/05 07:26 PM
G
We have an inspector in our area who wrote a violation quoting 334.15(B). The installation involved installing NM cable horizontally through the studs in an unfinished garage. The inspector wanted the wiring to go up and over instead of around the garage at about 3 feet above the floor. What is the opinion of this forum?

I told him to count his belssings because I didn't think plastic NM cable boxes were Listed for use in exposed wiring. Seems like this came up a few years ago at an IAEI code panel and a UL guy made a point of this.

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#94838 08/15/05 07:55 PM
G
I would suggest protection is necessary.

#94839 08/15/05 08:13 PM
W
If he ran the NM up and over and then down would he need protection for the portion that came down??. The original description would pass in Maine without a doubt.

#94840 08/15/05 08:28 PM
L
Go into my garage and you will see romex running through the wall studs at about 3' off the floor. Inspector had no problem with it. Is this a local "code" thing or is the inspector pushing his own ideas on you ?

#94841 08/15/05 09:30 PM
G
"Physical damage/protection" always seems to be a local decision.
"Subject to physical damage" is always a subjective question. [Linked Image]

Greg Fretwell
#94842 08/15/05 09:31 PM
E
e57 Offline
Around here NM and MC for that matter, is subject to damage <8'AFF. In fact we do alot of corrections on exactly that type of work. It's obvious of the hazard when you walk in to do the work, and find all kinds of things hanging on it. Like crowbars, boxes stuffed into the stud-bays, and once, a kayack tied to it. Even above 8', we pipe it unless it is planned to be rocked.

As far as Code goes, "protected from physical damage where necessary", is pretty subjective, and lends alot to the AHJ.

As for the boxes, as you mention,
314.17 (C) Nonmetallic Boxes and Conduit Bodies.
Nonmetallic boxes and conduit bodies shall be suitable for the lowest temperature-rated conductor entering the box. Where nonmetallic boxes and conduit bodies are used with open wiring or concealed knob-and-tube wiring, the conductors shall enter the box through individual holes. Where flexible tubing is used to enclose the conductors, the tubing shall extend from the last insulating support to not less than 6 mm (1/4 in.) inside the box and beyond any cable clamp. Where nonmetallic-sheathed cable or multiconductor Type UF cable is used, the sheath shall extend not less than 6 mm (1/4 in.) inside the box and beyond any cable clamp. In all instances, all permitted wiring methods shall be secured to the boxes.
Sounds like the boxes need clamps for NM....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#94843 08/16/05 12:53 PM
A
You forgot to read the exception that followed the rule. "...where the cable is fastened within 8 inches..."
An AHJ could argue that the box is not IN a wall but it would be a weak case.
Alan--Inspector
I would approve the installation.

Cheap, quick fix: nail scrap lumber, insulation board, particle board, etc. around the wall to cover the NM.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
#94844 08/23/05 08:57 AM
M
I'm not sure where your area is at George (I believe you're in Michigan too), but it's come up in mine as well. I personally have always allowed it and will continue to do so. 334 permits NM for exposed and concealed work. I doubt that where run through bored holes around the perimiter of a garage, it's any more subject to physical damage than it is where it's run through bored holes in floor joists in a basement. How many times have you seen the lady of the house use those cables to store clothes from on hangers? In fact, if you think about it, it's probably more likely to be damaged where it's stapled down the side of a stud. As stated earlier, "subject to physical damage" is a rather subjective phrase.

#94845 08/23/05 12:21 PM
S
... and find all kinds of things hanging on it. Like crowbars, boxes stuffed into the stud-bays, and once, a kayack tied to it.

How many times have you seen the lady of the house use those cables to store clothes from on hangers?

I don't think I'd call that, "Subject to physical damage." I'd call it, "Failure of foolproofing, due to development of a better fool." [Linked Image]

#94846 09/02/05 06:48 PM
T
What is the difference with NM cable installed in bored holes within the floor joist in an exposed basement ceiling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard