ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Guys:
To get back to the question at hand.....
For final:
A set of approved plans on site.
All paperwork (permit & updates) filed & paid.
All devices installed and energized.
Panel labeled correctly, hopefully.
A lighting outlet in each area (sw recept or fixture) A 'blanked' box is acceptable.
'Hard wired' appliances installed.
(Majority of jobs are gas ranges; the gas appliances are REQUIRED for the gas utility to turn-on the gas service.
Smoke/carbon detectors
and all the other usual stuff.

OK, IF an electric range/oven is on the plans, it HAS to be installed. Dryers are plug-in, so.....
Dishwashers are hard wired, central air CU's must be installed/wired, etc.

THe EC's know not to schedule a 'final' with missing items.

Depending on the situation, we can issue a TCO, but that's another story.

John

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Check your local bldg code
Here ('97 UBC) natural light is required in all habitable rooms except kitchens. They may be provided with artificial light.
bathrooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces are not habitable.
So all you need to pass is one luminaire in the kitchen, if you don't have any windows.

In CA, our energy standards kick in and you have to provide high efficacy luminaires in certain locations. Pretty much you have to install luminaires everywhere except a bedroom and a hallway (going by memory here). There are some trade offs.

Hotline,
Having the power on makes things easier for final, but unless you have local ammendments, I would say it's not enforceable by the letter of any code. We're talking residential only here.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
A
Joe,
Glad I'm getting back to this at the end when everyone is ready to get a beer.
I dug out my copy of the Basic Checklist etc. Only reference to cord & plug equipment that I saw was on pg. 41, ...Receptacle accessable where disposal, dishwasher, ...etc.
I still do things pretty much the way I used to, and I sure haven't mellowed.
I do mark some finals as "final work in progress" and then list, panel directories, cover plates when painting is done, etc. That saves everyone time. If I get a complaint the electrician KNOWS I will be watching him on his next job and that after he has gone back and taken care of the complaint.
I have extended the part I wrote for you into a column for Tom Henry. It is pulished in his bimonthly newsletter.
The list from Hotline 1 looks usable for those that need list.
Alan --Inspector.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
G
I talked to my favorite builder a while ago about this luminaire vs blank cover issue and she said the policy at her company is that there will be a switched receptacle available if they are leaving a blanked off ceiling box. I know the IAEI chapter here is split on the issue but the majority says a blank cover is an "outlet". I dissagree because an unqualified person can't get a light in that room. If they used a cover with a receptacle in it I would agree it was an outlet. You could "swag" a light in.

I still think the luminaire manufacturers are missing the boat by not making a pluggable socket/hanger that would accept an industry standard luminaire or fan. If swapping luminaires were easier, people would buy more.
I have dabbled with a couple designs that could carry heavy fixtures on snap in studs and incorporate a NEMA 5-15r as the electrical connection.
This would fit in a regular ceiling box.
I also dabbled with one using a duplex 5-15 for fan/light combos.

Greg Fretwell
G
I think Hotline's list is excellent. But I guess I would have trouble using it without the power being on. I can't support this comment:
Having the power on makes things easier for final, but unless you have local ammendments, I would say it's not enforceable by the letter of any code. We're talking residential only here.

It is impossible to check polarity, GFCI protection, AFCI protection or many other code requirements without the power being on so I say it is a code requirement or at the very least a Building Department requirement to have the power on for inspection. I can't vouch for code compliance without the power being on.

George Little
R
George, it may seem strange to you (actually it does to me) but as I said earlier, there are areas that the electrical final is a prerequisite for the meter.

I guess these areas figure the EC and his/her license will be the accountable party to assure the items (required by applicable codes)are working properly in the end anyways.

Edited for a stupid spelling mistake [Linked Image]

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 08-02-2005).]

E
For what it's worth the Massachusetts electrical application has a line you fill in with the number of "lighting fixtures" and a line for "lighting outlets".

F
Well George actually it is not impossible to check polarity/GFI's with the power off.
GFI's do have to be tripped and to trip them you need to have the power on...
This is why Orange county Florida is F'D UP!
Ok it is unlawfull to energize without pre-power aggreement...
Orange county will not do a prepower inspection, they perform prepower/final at the exact same time. So they break the rules by requiring GFI's to be tripped before the house gets a prepower.

Ok back to where I started!!
It's not impossible to check polarity/GFI without the power on.
Orange county uses a battery operated device that can check all of the above.
Greenlee makes a simular device (Orange county's is some small time electrical nut) that can do this, look in the Greenlee catalog it actually calls itself "Inspector GFI tester".
Luckly Osceola county only uses the little 9 dollar plug-in tester with GFI button, wich are very easy to fool:-)
Oh uhh, I mean I always do everything to 100% NEC and all local building and municipal codes.

Sandsnow:
OK, I have to ask....how do you get 'natural light' after sundown??? Yes, we have houses with skylights in rooms, bathrooms, etc.
How could you have a bathroom without a light?? A attached garage without a light??

OK, real quick...
For new resi we do a "rough wire" inspection, "service" inspection, and "FINAL"
Upon "service" inspection & approval a cut-in card is faxed & mailed to the utility & the service is energized, usually in the name of the builder.

No power, no final; no HVAC CU no final, etc.

Comm is basically the same; with "ceiling".

I/we don't like TCO's for resi; most times whatever is 'amiss' can be addressed before the paperwork is processed. For a TCO, Elec; Plumb; Fire; Bldg & Engineering must all "sign off a TCO"; loose one & you're out of luck.

John

PS: Thank you gentlemen for the comments on the "list". Gee, I think it ay be tough to have the town buy a Inspector battery operated GFI tester. NJ does not enfoce the AFCI requirements.

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 08-02-2005).]

John
G
Roger- I didn't know that but I'm sure your accurate. I like my way of inspecting better- with power turned on [Linked Image]

George Little
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard