ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 480 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
George, not trying to put you on the spot, but answer one thing, is there an amendment in MI requiring Luminaires be installed, or is this your own rule?

Well it's a little of both. Building inspector asks me is the house safe to move into and that's part of my call. No lights- Not safe. Building code requires smoke alarms, No smoke alarms- Not safe.
Dishwasher capped up with j-box- Safe- dryer and range receptacles installed - Safe- Keyless in clothes closet- Not Safe. Panel ledger not marked- not safe.

If the GFCI test properly, they have a way of turning on lighting in the rooms and light fixtures at the exterior doors Safe.

I can support a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy that includes a final inspection clause and date.

Almost forgot: No there is no amendment in the Michigan Electrical code that says you must have light fixtures installed for final.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 07-31-2005).]

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

F
I don't believe the NEC requires a dwelling to have a range installed. A permanent provision for cooking is an electric range receptacle or a 120V receptacle accompanied by a gas shut-off valve in close proximity. I think hard wired appliances are required to be present for final inspection but not cord and plug connected ones. If a required lighting outlet in a room happens to be a switched receptacle, does the lamp need to be plugged in for final inspection? I wire a 3500 sq.ft. custom home 10 years ago for an owner who acted as his own GC. He had me install (2) 4 ton A/C circuits and terminate them in w/p disconnects. There were sleeves at the disconnect locations for linesets. He still hasn't, to this day, installed A/C. He doesn't like A/C but thought it would be good for resale value to have the home ready for it if he decided to sell. Should that have passed final? My brother-in-law just bought a brand new spec home that has capped off ceiling fan boxes in each bedroom. The bedrooms also have (1) switched receptacle. Ceiling fan/lights are at the buyers disgression. I don't see a problem if the requirements of the NEC are met. There may be other building codes that prohibit a final inspection before cord and plug connected appliance installation but I don't believe it is a NEC issue.

Speechless! Give me a break! The work contracted and job, are they finished?

Can you say yes, not a chance the job is not finalized yet sir.

All of your arguments still don't answer the question -- the job is not finished and cannot get the Final, maybe a Temporary Final like George says, but never a FINAL!

I am surprised and don't understand why the range if electrical would not be a problem if not installed?

The rest of those here are electricians and may have their opinions, but the bottom line is that the AHJ has the final say and must uphold the integrity of his or her position in the industry.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
Joe,
The rest of those here are electricians and may have their opinions, but the bottom line is that the AHJ has the final say and must uphold the integrity of his or her position in the industry.
this is really sad that you would advocate this abuse of authority.

You are actually treading on thin ice as far as your credibility with that statement.

Roger

Roger:

Threatening me?

That's against the rules here in this Forum.

What is the problem?

You are actually treading on thin ice as far as your credibility with that statement.

Have you ever signed off on a final inspection, wearing the hat of an AHJ?

and ..... The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.

R
Joe, my statement is not a threat, it is a fact.

You seem to think that an electrician is less knowledgeable than you, this is definitely not the case, even if you think it is threatening your position.

When you make a point to demean a fellow inspector or electrical tradesman that has invested the "blood, sweat, and tears" it takes to become a professional, you are in jeopardy of loosing your credibility.

Roger

Hey Roger:

You can read into the statements I make and think whatever your mind says, I was not demeaning anyone!

I also started as an apprentice and worked my way up, why some of the people here are still very young and have a lifetime of learning and I appreciate that!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 07-31-2005).]

R
Joe,
The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules, for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and for granting the special permission contemplated in a number of the rules.
so do you think this means you can add rules?

Roger

S
Joe
I am an EC! Don't be so mean. I think your reading into this too far and takin it personal.

Rob

[This message has been edited by sierra electrician (edited 07-31-2005).]

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard