ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
sccat Offline OP
what's "premises wiring system"

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
Premises Wiring (System). That interior and exterior wiring, including power, lighting, control, and signal circuit wiring together with all their associated hardware, fittings, and wiring devices, both permanently and temporarily installed, that extends from the service point or source of power, such as a battery, a solar photovoltaic system, or a generator, transformer, or converter windings, to the outlet(s). Such wiring does not include wiring internal to appliances, luminaires (fixtures), motors, controllers, motor control centers, and similar equipment.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
M
You've quoted the definition right out of the NEC, and I think this definition is way too broad. Doesn't this basically give the NEC jurisdiction over just about everything?

To me, premises means installed in, or attached to, a structure capable of holding at least one person. With the NEC definition, things that plug into the wall (wall warts) and things that interconnect appliances (hi-fi cables laying on the floor) are all covered. None of this stuff is installed when inspectors arrive, so why should it be in the code. Seems like it should be more of a UL listing thing and not a UL thing for my examples.

Mark
Kent, WA
I
That's an interesting thought.

But the definition of Premises Wiring is not as broad as 90.2(A).

02 NEC
90.2 Scope.

(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation of electric conductors, electric equipment, signaling and communications conductors and equipment, and fiber optic cables and raceways for the following:

(1)Public and private premises, including buildings, structures, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, and floating buildings

(2)Yards, lots, parking lots, carnivals, and industrial substations

(3)Installations of conductors and equipment that connect to the supply of electricity

(4)Installations used by the electric utility, such as office buildings, warehouses, garages, machine shops, and recreational buildings, that are not an integral part of a generating plant, substation, or control center

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard