ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#94285 07/21/05 07:38 PM
G
gserve Offline OP
If an appliance garage is installed on a counter top is a receptacle required in the garage? Code reference please. Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
Also, do appliance-garage receptacles require GFCI protection?

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Cat Servant
201.55(C)(5) discussed appliance garages.

As I read it, there is NO requirement that the 'garage' have any receptacles. Even if it does, the receptacles don't count as the required outlets.

201.8(A)(6) discussed GFI requirements 'where the receptacle serves the counter area.'

I say : the code can't have it both ways. Perhaps this should be submitted for clairification in the next code edition.

I have problems with several NEC kitchen requirements. Perhaps the appropriate committee ought to leave the kitchen to their wives :-).

Imagine a counter whose entire length fronts an appliance garage- where the appliances sit, already plugged into some plugmold, just waiting to be pulled out and used.
Since these receptacles are not counted toward the required receptacles, you are now required to place additional receptacles above the appliance garage.
Now, since the garage receptacles are there to serve the garage -and not the counter- you can argue that GFI is not required.
Wonderful- you've protected the unnecessary, never used outlets, and ignored the ones that get used.

Another issue is the matter of load calculations. There is no limit to the number of receptacles on a RESIDENTIAL circuit. Yet, the appliance garage is the one place that is sure to use a lot of watts. I expect that, in most cases, these receptacles are simply added to the small appliance circuits. While that may have the side-effect of getting them GFI protection, it also increases the chances of there being an overloading issue.

I think we've crossed the line here between "minimum for safety" and into "design" issues.

R
The way I look at it, if you plug in a toaster in the appliance garage receptacle, then drag it out onto the counter, It now is serving the counter top and needs to be GFCI protected.

Chris.

E
No receptacles required but if you elect to install them they would need gfci protection.

E
By the way, reno I have some thoughts on your thoughts but I am short on time. I will reply later.

Cat Servant
I welcome them, Scott. My "thoughts" are just that....and often change as I learn from others!

Link Copied to Clipboard