ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9402 04/29/02 08:22 AM
I arrived between 8:00 & 8:30. I thought I had a job there, where I've been working since July '97, but I really didn't. So, I put all my stuff in a box, and headed for the "casa". Funny thing is, I had been looking for a job because of the financial status of my former company, and I got a call on Sunday for a position making $11k more than I make now. Yeap, the Lord works in mysterious ways. Amen!
I must admit that I am nervous about this new postition. It's more of the project management type, and I really don't have any experience at it. Any advice would help.

Jobological Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
G
Doc,
Uh, what about my leg appointment? [Linked Image]

Let's face it, I started an apprentice (as did you) and I've worked 'upward' ever since. Take each thing as a learning experience Doc, you're up to the challenge. The biggest thing I've learned is to try not to impose to many of my personal feelings on the guys you supervise, IOW, a good mechanic will deliver a good job in as timely a fashion as possible.....usually. Just because I would have used left handed widgets instead of right handed doesn't mean they're wrong. That philosophy has served me well no matter if I am the business owner, supervisor, inspector, or an engineer....ENJOY, you're about to learn a lot, if you're open to it, and I think you are.

The next thing I'd caution young'uns about is this.....NEVER get in a position to where a lay off, expected or not, cripples you. Savings accounts can save you in a crisis, and make the storm much more comfortable. Hee hee, where ya think I'd be if I did not adhere to that discipline, heck, I've been off 3.5 months now cause I broke my leg (OK, it gets a bit more complicated than that, but still).

BTW Doc, been meaning to talk to you about your schedule of treatment....Have I REALLY gotta take that entire bottle of medicine every day? Including that worm at the bottom of the bottle? [Linked Image]

B
Dear Doc,

Project Management - Oooh La La - my passion (ok, enough drama....)! I've been pursuing the 'formal education' side of this since '98. I'd be happy to share info, resources, etc with you, if you'd like. I completed my Master's Certificate in PM in Feb '01 and thankfully it does look like the investment will pay off.

What I can tell you, as it pertains to your electrical career, is that I nearly guarantee that you've already been doing Project Management (PM) if you've ever completed any project at all.

The main differences between 'formal' PM and what most of us do is:
a) using the PM dictionary, lingo & terms, and
b) organizing our project and our thoughts in terms of the 'BIG 3' of PM: SCOPE, TIME, and COST. In other words, what will get done and in how much time at what cost?

I'm glad you proactively sought options and that they came through for you - that alone should tell you that you're qualified for the next level of involvement or management of resources. You seemed to have proven capable of managing your own path pretty well! Congrats!

W
Check out the Project Management Institute for many training classes, etc.

B
Oh yeah, good recommendation, Warren. Shame on me for not thinking of it since I'm an officer in my local chapter....
www.pmi.org

Check the 'look for a chapter' link because you may find one close to you and you don't have to be a member to attend a meeting or event. We try to provide free or low-cost training opportunities here and I imagine that's true in nearly every chapter.

M
Doc;
You want some advice, Just be the best you can be.
-Mark- [Linked Image]

C
My advice is simple,manage by staying in close contact with the actual workers.I refer to this style as "walk around management".I have seen many managers holed up in their offices with their select staff reporting to them.They don't have a clue.
Good luck
Chris

C
[Linked Image] congratulations doc!one word of advice R-E-S-P-E-C-T. treat your workers with ths and you'll have a good team!treat them as you want ot be treated & you'll go far!GOOD LUCK! ERWIN [Linked Image]

S
Erwin's got the main ingredient....
sprinkle liberally with delegation....
add a pinch of teamwork.....

enjoy a nice carear!
[Linked Image from darwinawards.com]

N
b) organizing our project and our thoughts in terms of the 'BIG 3' of PM: SCOPE, TIME, and COST. In other words, what will get done and in how much time at what cost?
Man! I have been doing two jobs all this time! I need a raise!

Guess that means now high voltage project updates. [Linked Image]

Good luck Doc!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard