ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Yes, Nick, and not only that, but there's money to be made in PM that I wouldn't have imagined....

For example, a PMP (a certified Project Management Professional, see below on what that takes...*) that directed my attention toward formalizing my Project Mgmt career turns down any job opportunity that pays below the $110,000/year range he's grown accustomed to. His 'rush/high profile, gotta have it right and we'll pay a premium for the best' project leadership rates exceed $300,000/year.

After I described to him what I'd been doing for over a decade, he declared that I'd been doing Project Mgmt all along and that others who were similarly occupied (keeping track of schedules of projects) were making approximately $70,000/year. I was floored - especially since I'd been making less than half of that.

*PMP Requirements:
In addition to taking an extensive test covering the Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), there is also an 'experience' requirement as follows:

PMI® requires that a PMP candidate with a bachelor’s degree document a minimum of 4500 hours of project management work experience over a minimum of three (3) years. The hours must span the minimum time period. Your start dates/end dates on the Experience Verification Forms must indicate a minimum of thirty-six (36) months. Hours worked prior to six (6) years from the date of application will not be considered.

A candidate without a bachelor’s degree must document a minimum of 7500 hours of project management work experience over a minimum of five (5) years. The hours must span the minimum time period. Start dates/end dates on the Experience Verification Forms must indicate a minimum of sixty (60) months. Hours worked prior to eight (8) years from the date of application will not be considered.

Don't be put off by the grandiose verbage, I'd be willing to bet that given just a little bit of training and preparation for the test, anyone who has 5+ years doing projects in any industry could build a resume that would qualify them.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

George. Yur'n leg still is need'n doctor'n. Take two wire nuts an' call me on the bell invention.

Bugga. Thanks for the info. God Bless.

Warren. As always, you are a gentleman. Best regards to you, your family, etc.

motor-t. Some of the most practical info I've ever heard. God Speed.

Mr. Rudolph. Thanks for defining a term that may have never before been defined. Regards.

circuit man. Sounds like the "Golden Rule". Thanks for the reminder. I mean it, sincerely.

Chef Sparky? Thanks.

Nick. I will leave comment on the 12.5 KV project that I recently bid. I think that you will be suprised at the results. Best regards.

Again, regards to all.
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
That's $150 per hour! (About ten times what I make)...

I'm depressed now...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard