ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#93629 06/03/05 06:16 AM
W
You guys got me thinking, so I looked at my Hot Tub and its UL listed. Made by Saratoga Spas.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#93630 06/03/05 11:07 AM
R
Our state statutes require (with exceptions) all electrical componets to be NRTL listed. (I'm not saying I agree with it though)

ยง 66‑25. Acceptable listings as to safety of goods.

All electrical materials, devices, appliances, and equipment shall be evaluated for safety and suitability for intended use. This evaluation shall be conducted in accordance with nationally recognized standards and shall be conducted by a qualified testing laboratory. The Commissioner of Insurance, through the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance, shall implement the procedures necessary to approve suitable national standards and to approve suitable qualified testing laboratories. The Commissioner may assign his authority to implement the procedures for specific materials, devices, appliances, or equipment to other agencies or bodies when they would be uniquely qualified to implement those procedures.

In the event that the Commissioner determines that electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment in question cannot be adequately evaluated through the use of approved national standards or by approved qualified testing laboratories, the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall specify any alternative evaluations which safety requires.

The Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall keep in file, where practical, copies of all approved national standards and resumes of approved qualified testing laboratories. (1933, c. 555, s. 3; 1989, c. 681, s. 1.)

Our City even had a mobile MRI that had been used in many states from the east coast to the west, get a NRTL listing as an assembly before it could be used.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 06-03-2005).]

#93631 06/03/05 01:04 PM
G
I found it interesting that "Hot Springs", a heavily promoted brand, is not NRTL evaluated. They use Exponant labs, not on the list.

Greg Fretwell
#93632 06/03/05 04:27 PM
G
As I understand the position of some ---

If an electrictian on site assembles the hot tub electrical components from approved subassemblies, the hot tub gets inspected per local code.

If the same components are assembled by the hot tub manufacturer, the hot tub gets a red tag (unless agency approved).

I don't see a difference between the two methods of work. I expect those who do are asking for a law suit they cannot win.

#93633 06/03/05 05:42 PM
L
LK Offline OP
George,

What is different, between the two methods of work, is the on site wiring is done by a lic. electrician, and the delivered package unit is wired by spa employees, that may or may not be qualified, and may or may not have qualified supervision, a big difference.

#93634 06/03/05 11:43 PM

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard