ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#93554 06/01/05 07:18 PM
L
LK Offline OP
We completed a hot tub installation and requested inspection, next we get a call from the owner, it failed, so we asked what did he write on thew sticker, no sticker nothing just failed, i called the inspector to ask what failed, and his reply was he needs to see a UL sticker on the tub, well i guess we can,t do any more hot tub installations, because none that i have seen have the UL sticker, I called around to different tub manufactures and they all say no sticker needed, what did i miss and when did i miss it.
I think we are going to need a lot of box cars, to haul all these hot tubs out of jersey.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 06-01-2005).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#93555 06/01/05 07:27 PM
G
I have never seen a brand name packaged hot tub that didn't have a UL sticker. Who builds the ones you're installing?

#93556 06/01/05 07:30 PM
L
LK Offline OP
Bay City Hot Tubs, we install brand name spas and i have never see one with a sticker, all the electrical including the control panel, is UL He is looking for a sticker for the package.

#93557 06/01/05 07:33 PM
G
I agree these skid packs should be tested/evaluated by a recognized lab but I am not sure they ever are.
I looked at the "Hot Springs" site and they say their tubs are tested be "Exponant Labs" but I am not sure that is an actual recognized lab. They do not mention U/L at all.

Greg Fretwell
#93558 06/01/05 07:36 PM
G
These are assembled from approved componants as a rule but I don't think the entire assembly is tested.

Greg Fretwell
#93559 06/01/05 07:39 PM
L
LK Offline OP
Yes that is what every manufacture has told us, they are all built with UL approved pumps, heaters and equipment, and not required to have testing, I think what needs testing here is the inspector, here in New Jersey we have some of the best inspectors, i wonder where this one came from, at least if he would quote a code section or city code, then i would have some idea of what he is failing.

#93560 06/01/05 08:49 PM
G
I guess the real question is if anyone is inspecting these packaged units?
Simply using listed pumps and heaters does not insure that they are properly bonded, conductors sized correctly and that they have the appropriate motor starters etc.
I would think a major brand is going to take the time to do things right but a lot of these things are assembled in an industrial bay somewhere by a company nobody has heard of, with minimal supervision.

Greg Fretwell
#93561 06/01/05 09:07 PM
Cat Servant
I have both good news and bad news that may surprise some of us- I sure was!

UL does in fact test and list Hot tubs- but there has been very little participation by the hot tub industry. I have no idea why this is, but this lack of participation is not unusual.
Among "name brands," Marquis is listed- but the '500 lb gorilla' (Jacuzzi) is not.
In other industries where I have investigated the weakness of UL's role, the most common reasons were a) UL and the industry had different opinions as to what the test standards should be; b) another organisation had already addressed the needs of the industry; and c) the industry was quite happy with its' own standards.

It would be absolutely improper for any government official to insist upon a "UL listing." This is because UL is a private body, and a government official has no business directing you to patronise any private concern. Malfeasance is one word that comes to mind.
An inspector can ask for approval of a "nationally recognised testing lab" or its' equivalent. Of these organisations there are literally thousands, many sponsored by industry associations and focusing on that one industry.
It seems that the hot tub industry is content with having its' products listed by ETL.

#93562 06/01/05 09:32 PM
L
LK Offline OP
Yes correct John, ETL has been on a few tubs, however the industry as a whole, has resisted any inspection program, and you have a real mess out there, now true that they are built in a bay, with very little supervision, but where in the code is there a requirement for a testing of these units.

Out of the last 10 tubs only one had a label, and that one looked like a handyman wired it.

What i would like to know is does this something we need to look for, or is this inspector in left field, here in New Jersey, we have some of the best inspectors around, they are up to date, with just about every situation, and they usually are very helpful in resolving code issues.

And by the way i agree that these tubs should have a listing due to the fact that they are built under little or no supervision.

#93563 06/01/05 10:13 PM
G
Quite interesting. I believe has been the individual components that have been listed in the units I've wired, not the whole package. But consider. When I build a new packaging line at the local potato processing plant I use listed components and I build what is essentially a new machine. The whole machine isn't listed, just the components. I think there is a difference somewhere, I'm just not sure where.
Our AHJ absolutely does require UL or CSA listings for all electrical equipment. I have had to remove restaurant equipment from a job site at final inspection due to non-listing. Anyone else?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard