ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9350 04/25/02 08:19 PM
J
Started looking in to Invoice/Billing software. Needless to say the options are endless.. I found one that looks fairly decent from vision software. But to get accurate pricing I have to subscribe to a service at nearly $50.00 a month. Granted it saves time getting pricing from the suppliers. But still it adds up.. [Linked Image]
Well I guess I am wondering what everyone else out there uses...
I would like to have something for proposals, T&M, and flat rates.

Thanks

James

#9351 04/25/02 11:17 PM
James,
If I could answer your question, the business world would pay me millions to get answers. I will say that if that service saves you 2-4 hours per month, it's worth the $50.00.

Good Luck, and Best Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#9352 04/26/02 05:23 PM
C
James , here is the software i use for estimates & billing, works fine for me.

http://www.elibrium.com/mysoftware/finance.htm

Have been using it for about 5 years now,
Hope this helps

#9353 04/26/02 07:24 PM
S
To each his own, I guess. I couldn't find anything I liked for billing so I use Excel and create my own invoices est. and quotes.

#9354 04/26/02 09:46 PM
F
I've been using Quickbooks Pro for 3 years and have no complaints. I create estimates for every job and update them as needed. When the job is done you just click create invoice and it's ready to print and mail. It's easy to track costs and profits.

#9355 04/27/02 11:42 AM
B
Excel (or likely other spreadsheets) can be fairly powerful. You can build and modify your own "templates" as you get more familiar with it, and the file format will probably be around for 50 years. [I am not sure of this, but] the ability to use someone else's templates is probably greater than what may be an accounting package’s typically proprietary format. One of the moderators—Scott35—has posted some pretty decent panel schedules that run in Excel. Its more complex sibling is Access, and that is powerful enough to “keep the books” for a business short of Enron. Find someone like yourself, and find out what they are doing. Above all, RTFM! Keep your “how do I do...” questions to an absolute bare minimum. It’s possible you could take a local community college class as an introduction to the material if needed. RTFM! If you have to hit the ground running, i.e., should have started documenting your work a year ago, be ready for some frustration {and possibly time-consuming) study of manuals. OTOH, what you learn now about spreadsheets will be useful for the rest of your life.

And—Never Forget—Back Up Your Data. Can’t stress that enough. RTFM!

#9356 04/27/02 04:05 PM
J
Thanks for your replies. I found one that is a bit expensive but seems to do the job very well.. No more calling the supply houses for prices on material. It has it all built in. And with the added option you can get up to date prices from all the manufactures. But that luxury comes at a price. [Linked Image] Needless to say I am not selling for them.. But it can be found at;
http://www.visioninfosoft.com

There is one thing to worry about.. Give them your name and phone number and you are gaurenteed a call on a daily basis from one of there sales people.. [Linked Image] If you would like a copy, just let me know and I will send one to you via e-mail.

James

#9357 05/05/02 11:46 PM
J
I wound up going with quickbooks Pro. It is taking a while to get it all set up but now that I have most of the basic's in the system writing up estimates and invoices is a breeze! Also by playing with the Trial version I see I am able to do so much more with it as well.. Basically it keeps track of everything I do.. I just have the wife do all the work.. [Linked Image] and Quickbooks does all the rest. I will miss not having the option of the EPIC or TESSER I think that was the other name of the addon. It basically allowed me to just pull up items from there menu and the up to date pricing would be on there already. No more calls to the supply house for pricing.. But now I will just have the wife enter in the pricing with every invoice I get or when she calls for the pricing.. Heck that alone will save me the $58.00 a month subscription fee.. Over the years I will enjoy that savings.. [Linked Image]

James

#9358 05/05/02 11:53 PM
Look here on ECN, go to the bookstore (Icon to the left) or Click Here for an example of one that fits your price range.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI

Link Copied to Clipboard