ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#93236 05/09/05 07:53 PM
S
They have reworded 680.74 of the 2005 NEC covering bonding of hydromassage tubs.

I now interpet that I am only required to bond metalic piping and grounded metalic parts in "contact" with the circulating water of the hydromassage tub.

So would a metalic drain kit used with the hydromassage tub, which is not in "contact" with the circulating water and not a grounded metalic part be required to be bonded under the new wording?

shortcircuit

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
shortcircuit - this is a tough one.

Both Ryan (Utah) and myself have spoken extensively with UL about this..the principle engineer at UL for Swimming Pools, tubs, etc. was active in getting this code section revised. He also attends a monthly meeting of inspectors/contractors in San Jose.

The bottom line after much discussion with UL is pretty much this:

If you have a double insulated motor (plastic motor housing with no bonding lug) you DO NOT bond to the water piping or anything else. BTW - these motors are designed such that no part of the circulating water comes into contact with any motor component[thus the language in 2005].

If you have a regular hydromassage tub (i.e. it is not a double insulated motor) then the motor does have a bonding lug on it and it should be bonded....also most any inspector will require it to be bonded if there is a bonding lug on the motor.

Another BTW - only about 1 in 10 of these hydro tubs is double insulated (in our area).

Even though the language has changed there does not seem to be any difference in the installation than pre-2005 (pre-2005 you did not bond to double insulated motors, you did bond regular motors.....it's still the same).

If you want to speak directly with this principle engineer:

Gary.L.Higgins@us.ul.com

H
Let's take this a couple of steps farther. What if the motor does not have a bonding lug but it is not a double insulated motor? Do you need to bond it?

How about if all the piping (Hot/cold) water pipes are plastic do you need to bond it? How about to the water spout it might be metal even though the pipes are plastic.

Link Copied to Clipboard