ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#932 04/06/01 09:49 PM
Has anyone had any experience with or know anything about chemical soil treatments to lower soil resistance? Just wondering if they work, when it's necessary, does it have to be repeated periodically? is it expensive?

Just curious, I've heard it mentioned but never seen it or done it.

Bill

Bill
S
www.saeinc.com

has some stuff called "conducrete" , if you click on it you get a pictoral(s) of an installation

of interest, it claims to enhance the "capactitance" of the G-rod!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 04-08-2001).]

R
From the "Electrical Grounding" book by NTT,Inc.:

There is a system known as an "Electrolytic Ground Rod" in which a copper-alloy tube/electrode, approx 2" diameter is inserted into a 6" diameter hole in the ground and then filled with a mixture of calcium chloride and sodium chloride. Then a slurry of bentonite is packed around the tube in the remaining void in the ground. Moisture from the air is pulled into the tube and accumulates with the salts and forms an low resistance electrolyte, which seeps into the surrounding bentonite, lowering the resistance of immediate area surrounding the tube/electrode. (Or something like that). Approx life - 25 years.

Thanks for the info Guys!

Sparky,

That link talks about something they did for NASA. It reminds me of when I was down at the Space Center in FL. The tour guide started saying there was something very interesting about a 90ft Lightning rod I think and never got to finish. Anyone know the Story?

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard