ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Coastal Offline OP
I've wired numerous residential elevators (3 floors) within this particular jurisdiction always pulling NM cable; 10-3 w/ground for the motor and 12-2 for the light. These circuits are pulled through ceilings and walls and "stubbed out" in the elevator mechanical room where the elevator contractor terminates them into his equipment. Have done it this way for years, not only in this jurisdiction but in all surrounding ones, too.
A new inspector is hired and the first one of my homes that is inspected, he wants to see all elevator electrical in conduit from the panel to the elevator equipment. Nowhere along the way or in the elevator room is the wiring exposed to any "physical harm". Is he within his rights by code to demand this after the job has been "roughed-in"??

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
Where's it say you gotta do that? He has to cite a code article.

-Hal

C
Coastal Offline OP
I left my code book at the office but I remember somewhere in article 620 where it does state that wiring does need to be in approved conduit, be it pipe or flex but it does not specifically say from the source. No where along the way is any NM wiring exposed. It is stubbed out of the wall directly into the disconnects for the elevator equipment. I also remember reading in 620 that the wire insulation needs to be fire retardant such as THN, THWN etc. Is Romex fire retardant?

S
I don't think the inspector is interpreting the code properly. 620.21 refers to wiring in hoistways, on cars, within machine rooms and on the counterweight.

620.11(C) says all conductors in raceways shall have flame-retardant insulation.....Shielded conductors shall be permitted....applied to any conductor within the cable or raceway system.

NM is a cable.

I think this section is not really refering to the equipment supply conductors but then again it doesn't say it's not either.

E
e57 Offline
I think the only way he's got you on this is if you installed NM in the hoistway, on the exterior of the wall. Or exposed in any way in the equipment room. Technicaly, 620.21 could get ya, but just for the entrance to the equipment. As it does not mention NM being allowed in equipment spaces. A judgement call there, but not all the way to the panel. IMO And no, NM is not fire retadant, although I heard they are starting to think about it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
So, put the disconnect on the outside of the mechanical space, change to conduit, and the problem is solved.
Using the prior logic that the feeder to the elevator is not allowed to be NM, then the service cable to the house cannot be SE cable or USE, as they are not on the list either.

Earl

Link Copied to Clipboard