ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Any place where you would want to use portable cord above a ceiling, a fixed wiring method, cable, or conduit could be used. For locations needing flexibility with drop cords, such as to work stations either use power poles or mount the boxes the cords come from below the ceiling.
The problem with cord above the ceiling isn't just fire loading but, that the cords are left for years and deteriorate.
There was a Code proposal years ago to allow cord connected lighting above the ceiling. When the office layout changed the maintenance man could redo the lighting instead of calling an electrician. Do you like having a job or do you want the janitor doing your work ?
Still a violation where I'm at.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
Generally in agreement with you, Alan. I also had some trouble imagining an application where you were kind of stuck using SO cable....then a major supermerket called.

Their problem? They have assorted coolers and hot tables that they use for display in the store's high traffic areas (like at the front door). They also, as part of their marketing, re-do these displays often, changing the layout every week or two. Come in today, and you have to jog left; next week, you might have to jog right instead!
Naturally, they neither want to have miles of cable drooping from the ceiling, nor do they want multiple holes or receptacles in the ceiling tiles. Their competitor has a newer store, with open framing, and is able to festoon his wire. This customer has trouble understanding why he can't do the same thing above the grid....and I'm inclined to agree with him. I does seem unreasonable to call the electrician to move the cord from box to box every week!

Y
Since you brought up cords , Almost every if not every hydromassage tub comes with a plug and cord, They are pluged in then run thru the floor to a outlet below or hidden behind a acess panel. Seems the code does not deal with that??

G
Yeah Ernie, and how about all the dishwashers and compactors out there that are cord connected???

In fact my own dishwasher is cord connected but don't tell on me [Linked Image]

George Little
R
Yoopersup,
They are pluged in then run thru the floor to a outlet below
What about 400.(2)?
400.8 Uses Not Permitted. ...
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Y
Don
I know that! But there,There or behind acess panels show me the section that shows behind panels is OK. thats my point there not being hooked up per code But then again how can you hook them up legally???As far as dishwashers, Kitchen Waste Disposers and Trash Compactors see 422.16 2002 Code there dealth with there,

[This message has been edited by Yoopersup (edited 04-20-2005).]

A
O.K. Everyone. Let's all read from the same Code book. Section 400.8 (2) and 400.8 (5).

In subsection (2) "Where run through holes in walls...ceilings...floors."
No cords through the floor !

In sub section (5) "Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located above suspended or dropped ceilings."
No cords above the lay-in ceiling

Access panels on hydro massage tubs are NOT walls, floors or ceilings.

Is this horse dead yet ?
Alan -an inspector.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Y
Alan
Neither are Doors under the sink for Kitchen waste disposers BUT the Code Mentioned them in 422.16b . My point is the code does not want a CORD CONCELLED unless its aprroved like in 422 what your saying then is just put in a acesss panel and you can put a cord in a wall?? Or put a acess panel in a ceiling then a cord can be behind that also???

[This message has been edited by Yoopersup (edited 04-21-2005).]

Returning from my trip this week to Holland and Belgium. I have many pictures of flexible cord wiring used for permanent instalations.

You will be surprised!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Here's one showing the use of sleeved flexible cords that supplied lighting near the canal in Amsterdam.

I also saw many cords in the spaces above the ceilings in the airport in Amsterdam and Paris.

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard