ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
These are residential set-ups that I'm talking about. They allways seem to be underground fed from the utility.

The utility feeds the meter base with ... I don't remember.

From the meter it's 2" RMC with 3/0 to each panel.

From the water to the panels we pipe it in EMT (some places want ridgid). We do it continous from water pipe to panel to bushing, to next panel to other panel bushing.

Outside pedistal we use the same size wire for the bushings, pedistal, and G rods. I know we only need a #6 for the G rods.

What sizes. I thought I remember one where they wanted 1/0. #2 sounds about right.

TOM

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
On one multi disconnect service I attached my Grounding Electrode Conductor (EGC) to the neutral conductor of the service mast on the load side of the drip loop splice and the outside wiremen from the utility about had a fit. I insisted that the engineer be called to the sight and he had no problem with it.

When I first started in the craft the POCO in that area was a Rural Electrification Administration (REA) coop. Apparently REA had a rigid rule that the load side of the drip loop splice was the only acceptable place to attach the GEC believing that would provide better lightning protection to the electrical service. To this day if I'm doing a rural overhead service were the only grounding electrodes will be driven rods I make the connection there.
--
Tom Horne

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
A
Tom,

Never seen it done like that but it makes sence. To bad doing things a bit different can cause a lot of hassel.

Tom

G
Can someone tele me what the letters POCO stands for? These leters are not familiar to me.

George Little
R
George

The local POwer COmpany, or utility supplier

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard