ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
It's always a good idea to talk with the AHJ.

Dave

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
e57 Offline
Like I was saying earlier, I like to hit the meter section first, and lugs from there to each main, bond on the way. This way, the grounding won't have to be messed with if there ever needs to be a panel change. The meter section is as perminant as it can be, sized at 400/320A, panels get changed.... Who knows you might be the guy doing the changing.

Any way for examples sake, I have a portion of the handbook on my web-space.
http://www.markhellerelectric.com/25066.pdf

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
A
E57, Thanks. A piture is worth 1,000 words.

Short circuit,

Some larger homes around here have 2 200 amp panels. Each one has a seperate set of 3/0 feeding it from 1 meter base. They would not be paralell because they go to a different 200 amp panel.

Ok, I see I was using the wrong column for conductor area above. Let me try again.

2 3/0=167,800 x 2 = 335,600 circulal mils
335,600 is closest to 350 Kmil
250-66 says 350 Kmil CU = #2 CU ground

Did I get it right?

Tom

S
Tom...that is the formula that I use [Linked Image]

What do you feed the meter base with...wire and pipe?

shortcircuit

R
shortcircuit,
I'm not sure why you disagree with my method.
It is the same as you described in your initial response, ecxcept that the 2nd panel is also 200-amp. Therefore, the tap is #4 copper just like the GEC.

e57,
For some reason, our local PoCo won't permit GEC connections in the meter socket.

S
Redsy...what you are telling me then is, that you run a #4 copper GEC for a 400 amp service?

shortcircuit

E
e57 Offline
Redsy, here a picture for you... http://www.markhellerelectric.com/25024.pdf

Many linemen see grounds as a hazard, it seems. They seem to think that if the ground comes loose it will fall on the live busses of the meter, and KaBoom. (It could happen in a main the same way) Some PoCo's don't see the meter as "accessable" because they lock it, ours are just a wire, or lollipop seal.

The way I see it, if there is a bonding or ground failure in a set up where the GEC is in one panel, the other panel and the meter base is lost. Another reason I like "all-in-ones".

Anyway, what shortcircuit's getting at is, with a #4 GEC you're limited to 3/0 SEC's making it a 225A service if it were a single family dwelling. For a 320A continous, youd need 350MCM SEC's, with a #2 GEC. And another size up for 400A even.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
A
Short Circuit,

We use RMC with bonding bushings between the panel(s) and meter. We run the ground rod wire to the meter.

Tom

S
RMC [Linked Image] Tom...

1)What size service entrance conductors do you feed the 320 meter can with on the line side?

2)What size and type conduit are SEC installed in on the line side of the 320 meter can?

3)What size bonding jumper do you install from the RMC nipples on the line side of the service disconnecting means?

shortcircuit

R
shorty,
I have only done a couple of these and now that I think about it, they had wellwater, so the only GE was (2) rods, which, although only #6 is required I ran #4.
However, in my area, I have seen several installations like the one described, and never saw more than a # 4 GEC.

BTW,
I'm not sure that this is a "true" 400-amp service, although Note 1 to Table 250.66 would still seem to require an upsized GEC .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard