ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
I was wondering if anyone has heard of people using GFI outlets mounted near the panel to supply circuits requiring a GFI breaker. I would like to know if this is a common practice among penny pinching hacks, or just urban legend.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
I seen several GFI's mounted below the panel for this. Many locals have a rule the GFI rec can only be load sided for that room.

A number of homes built when the GFI's first came out had 1 working everything, kitchen, baths, garage, basement, and garage. They pipe and pulled them all together.

Tom

R
What circuits require a GFCI breaker? I can think of one that requires a GFCI receptacle, but can't think of any that require a GFCI breaker.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
The 'type' of GFI protection installed is a 'design' issue, not a NEC issue.
GFI can be the device (GFI Recept), a GFI CB, or a 'faceless' GFI.

John

John
G
Well if you'll allow me to digress from the GFCI issue, the code requires Ground Fault protection for Fixed Outdoor Electric Deicing and Snow Melting that is seen as a possible location for a GFCI receptacle. This should be a circuit that is protected by a breaker and can not be substituted by a a receptacle. In fact the breaker is the only device available for this type of installation. The GFPE has a trip level od 30-50 ma as I recall and the GFCI has a trip level of 4-6ma.

George Little
R
I agree with Don, I know of requirements (5 to be exact) for a GFCI receptacle, but not for full circuit protection.

This may not be what Don is refering to.

Roger

H
Once again, I'm in the '99 NEC but the requirements here are to be GFCI protected. It doesn't specify as to how to do this. Either a breaker or a receptacle. I prefer to use GFCI receptacles so my customers don't have to wander to the basement or garage to reset a GFCI breaker that trips when they are ready to dry their hair having just stepped out of the shower. That said, it is the choice of the designer.

I
If you provide GFI protection for the small appliance branch circuits with a GFCI receptacle at the panel you would have a violation. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
C
If you provide GFI protection for the small appliance branch circuits with a GFCI receptacle at the panel you would have a violation.
Bob

Unless you used dead front GFCIs. Why anyone would do this is unknown to me. I have never seen it.

Peter D.

Peter
I
Peter

by Pete;
Unless you used dead front GFCIs.

By me;
If you provide GFI protection for the small appliance branch circuits with a GFCI receptacle at the panel you would have a violation.
Bob

It's all in the details. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Why anyone would do this is unknown to me.

It is a solution if you wanted GFI protection from a fuse or obsolete CB panel.

Why not use a GFCI receptacle at the point of use?

Have you tried to install a GFCI receptacle in an old box? [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard