ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9245 04/22/02 04:16 PM
D
DLinton Offline OP
To All:

I have a topic that I do not know if it has been brought up before or not. I am an Instructor at a Kansas Community College. I read through these forum pages often, and ask some qeustions and make some comments to see how others answer them so I can help my students out. But the qeustion is how many of you have states that require C.E. And how many of you agree or disagree with it. I know we can get into OSHA requirements on Qauified and Un-Qauified but they do not state how much or not. Kansas does not require anymore testing or training after you pass the exams. Just wanting to know your thoughts.

#9246 04/22/02 05:05 PM
M
Dan,

I believe that there should be retests at least every three years or at a minimum, required, documented attendance of a code change seminar of either 8, 16 or 24 hours.

As you mentioned, there are facility "electricians" out there that just know what they need to get by and don't always do things right. We've all come in behind them to fix either related or unrelated problems and seen shotty work.

Also, here in PA, there are general contractors that will have people that they employ as their "electricians" that only know what they need to know to get by for wiring anything from warehouses to town houses.

It's a pet peeve of mine how we can get underbid by "contractors" that we're sure are not up on the current codes and there for cannot possibly do as well a job.(the first time anyway)

I, myself take every oportunity and encourage my employees to take every oportunity to learn as much as they can about the NEC and changes. Especially when someone is offering free seminars.

PS - I also believe that people 70 years old and older should have to retake their drivers test every couple of years also...but thats another topic.

#9247 04/22/02 05:06 PM
W
The state of Washington requires it. I think all states should. The code changes every 3 years and technology changes all the time. It only makes sense. To me it is also practical from a contractors point of view; imagine the AHJ adopting the new code and some of the employees not up to speed on the new code. It could potentialy lead to major $$$$$$$$$ replacing what is not compliant.

Wirewiz

#9248 04/22/02 05:18 PM
E
Massachusetts now requires 21 hours of Continuing Ed. every code cycle to renew your license.

This was recently increased from 15 hours every cycle to renew.

It surprises me that there are states that do not license electricians.

Continuing Education is a necessary tool in any professional environment.

#9249 04/22/02 05:38 PM
E
Just did my 15 hours of code update this past weekend. Now for six more hours on realated subject. It is really good to get the brain going again!

#9250 04/22/02 06:58 PM
S
Continuing Education is a necessary tool in any professional environment.

well said electrician02125, as we are far from alone among professionals, yet [unfortunatley] not quite in sinc as a trade.

i also did my 15 hrs a few months ago, and was well prepared for it by my readings here.
[Linked Image from alpha.fdu.edu]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard