ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#92165 03/02/05 10:55 AM
T
HEY ROCKY, WATCH ME PULL A RABBIT OUTTA MA HAT!

The powers that be here at the railroad want to recreate a street seen from an era around 1915.

This includes poles, crossarms, wires and streetlights fed from those wires. As in knob and tube, as in one wire going in one side of the Dietz converted to electricity from kerosene lamp, and the other wire going in the other side.

It's up to me to make this happen. [Linked Image]

How can I do this, as in running splices at each lamp and individual conductors, and stay code? Especially in public spaces.

It'll look cooler than plaid rabbits when it's done, but .....

sorry about the intro, but I'm in a wierd mood.

TW

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#92166 03/02/05 11:09 AM
S
Without knowing the exact details, I suggest that you have a mock up that is dead that looks exactly right, yet is fed by a concealed method. Thus looks correct, but is safe and meets current code requirements. I know, easier said than done, but working with historical architects, we have been able to find satisfactory methods and devices so far (I am not an expert by any meaning of the word).

Shane

#92167 03/05/05 07:07 AM
G
sabrown has an excellent suggestion.

It is also possible to receive special permission to use any wiring method for special purposes such as exhibits, etc.. I'd make the case to the AHJ that you are following whatever code and standard of the day to reproduce a copy of the era.

I worked for a guy that actually wired a room in his house with exposed knob and tube with AHJ permission. Let's face it, you're trying to reproduce a limited version, should be really neat, please send pics when you're done!!

#92168 03/05/05 07:31 AM
J
jes Offline
Might want to consider using low voltage if possible. Might mitigate some of the concerns by the AHJ.

#92169 03/05/05 09:50 AM
S
I agree with George and Shane. How about a mock up that look's real, but, is powered by a code compliant underground installation.

Is that within the realm of possibility for the location?

#92170 03/05/05 08:53 PM
N
What the others have suggested is exactly what I have done before. We did the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland and all the fixtures were custom made to look of that era. Wiring was to current codes and concealed. fake wiring was added in some places to look like it was being fed overhead. Special lamps with the markings on the side were used (instead of on the bottom)custom frosting and effects via dimmer control modules. It can be done but it may be expensive.

Link Copied to Clipboard