ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#92142 02/28/05 09:18 AM
S
I have a wood working plant I am getting ready to do some wiring on, and wonder if someone could help me on the code issues here. It is a building that is being modified for wood working. Mainly machines are being hooked up, and a 200 amp. 460 volt panel set. My main concern here is the wiring associated with "hazardous locations". I haven't at this time been able to research all the information needed, but it looks like this would fall under a Class 3 location. There will be disconnects set and emt etc. Could someone refresh me on the wiring, fittings etc. that is to be used? I looked in the customer's other building he has, and as all wood working plants, ( furniture frames etc. ) it is covered with wood fibers and saw dust. ) Thanks for any input. Hopefully I will have more time to research this before I have to start the job. He is pushing the work, because he wants in the building as soon as possible, yesterday [Linked Image]
Thanks again... Steve.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#92143 03/01/05 10:26 AM
J
JBD Offline
In general saw dust is too coarse to be "explosive". The dust for Class II locations is very very fine like what is found in the vacuum system (sometimes it is called flour). Vendors like Killark, Appleton, and Crouse-Hinds all have information to help you evaluate hazardous location requirements. But always the final classification is up to the AHJ, which sometimes in cases like this is the local fire department.

#92144 03/01/05 02:23 PM
E
Sparkync,
Because you stated that the building is being modified for wood-working, I would approach this VERY carefully, and make sure the AHJ is involved. This is probably a change of occupancy to a Hazardous classification.
The UBC (yes, I'm in Calif.)would class this as H-2, moderate explosion hazard or hazard from accelerated burning. The I-code treats it similarly.
NEC 500-8 classes it as Class III Div 1, AT LEAST!!!

#92145 03/02/05 07:58 AM
S
Got in touch with AHJ and he informed me that if the owner had a "dust collection system" on All of his machinery, that the wiring would be standard, but noted that every single piece of equipment would have to have it, no exceptions. Thanks for the replies... And yes, I'm trying to enter this very carefully. There has already been some wiring done [Linked Image] and I haven't really took a good look at it yet. I'm suppose to get a little deeper today.

#92146 03/02/05 09:57 PM
Cat Servant
First of all, wood working areas usually need a much tighter sprinkler patern than whatever was there before.....make sure the fitters do their thing first.
Secondly, the primary concern in testing Class 3 eqt is that it never get hot enough to ignite the dust....even when it's buried in it. In a wood shop, this would apply primarily to motors; all motors should be of the TEFC type. Some other things -lighting, for instance- can also get hot enough to be a concern.
Finally, there are likely to be alarm requirements, as well as control issues (automatic operation of dust collector, no auto re-start, etc) to address as well.

Link Copied to Clipboard