ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 279 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#92134 02/26/05 11:58 PM
G
What is the best way to ground/bond the metal cap found on the top of some well casings? Some of the casings (about 50%) are non metallic with a metal cap that could become energized.

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#92135 02/27/05 06:20 AM
S
george...thought we determined that isolated sections of steel need not be bonded [Linked Image]

How about braided bonding jumper to the cap terminating to a lug bolted to a tapped 1/4-20 hole in the cover.

It would be better if they used a non-metalic cover with the non-metalic casing IMO.Haven't seen other than metel casings around these parts.

While were on the subject of wells, do the installations that you see have a disconnect at the casing for servicing the pump?

Most of the installations around here have no disconnect at the casing for the pump motor down in the casing and the wiring extends inside the dwelling to a location where a storage tank is, then through the pressure switch, then to the breaker in the service. The breaker at the service being the only disconnect for the installation.Wouldn't this be a violation of 430.102(B)

shortcircuit

#92136 02/27/05 09:26 AM
G
430.102(B) Exception (c) uses the word "impracticable" and the definition is impossible, infeasible, unattainable and words like that. So certainly the motor at the bottom of the well fits that exception with respect to locating a disconnect "within sight"

George Little
#92137 02/27/05 09:32 AM
G
More on well casings: There is concerns about the well cap being energized because there is a splice right there and usually the well driller makes that splice and one can only hope he has the right talent and materials to make a good splice. I'm also hearing that there is a lug on the underside of this cap with a green screw that should be utilized,

George Little
#92138 02/27/05 12:04 PM
S
IMO...I don't see how locating a disconnect next to the well casing is "impracticable" and would be as close as you can practically get to being in sight of the pump. It would definitely lessen the hazard to service personal from somebody accidentally turning the power on at the panel.

There should be at least provisions to lock the circuit in the open position. Wait a minute...code already says that.

Well to get back on track of your original concern of the metalic well casing cap, I have seen some caps with the ground lug or screw as you describe.

shortcircuit

#92139 02/27/05 07:29 PM
G
I am not sure how they do wells there but here they have an FS box at the well head with a short piece of liquidtite going to the cap. When they "pull" the well they open the splice in that box and disconnect the liquidtite from the box.
I could have installed a disco in the box but I didn't see the point. There is one "in sight" tho in the pump shack about 10' away.

[Linked Image from members.aol.com]

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 02-27-2005).]

Greg Fretwell
#92140 02/28/05 10:18 PM
H
Greg,

They should just use a plastic bonding screw! (LOL) Actually most well casings I see here in NJ have the metal cap with a splice point ( and ground point) right underneath the cap. The well installer "SHOULD" install that ground wire. I will check for it on a Final inspection, but the well installer is usually gine by then. So the GC or EC will have to take care of that problem.

#92141 02/28/05 10:42 PM
G
I never saw an electrical inspector when they punched this well. The well inspector only cared that the well was "producing" and that the old well was capped (poured solid with concrete). If this had been a metal cap there was no reason it couldn't have been bonded to the EGC in the splice box.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard