ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Can receptacle outlets be placed under raised floors for power to office equipment?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I would say probably it's red tag time. I say that because a receptacle under the floor would obviously leed to a cord under the floor and now we have trouble with 400.8(5). The exception could be in a computer room, raised floor.

George Little
G
Even under a computer room raised floor you need plenum rated power cords. There are always going to be receptacles but they will be IEC309s or Russell Stolls, not the usual NEMA 5-15

Greg Fretwell
R
Ron Offline
Since a flexible cord can't be below the raised floor, there is no need for a receptacle.
If you are 645 compliant, then its ok if the cord is rated as 'DP'.
Why not place a floor box in the raised floor tile, then all is ok.

Ron
E
Elzappr Offline OP
You all have confirmed my suspicions. What I am dealing with is a 5 story building with cords plugged in regular duplex receptacles under the raised floors. The cords are actually 20' long plug strips. they poke up through bushed holes in the concrete floor tiles. This is not a computer room nor server room situation, just a general office space.
As far as I know, this set-up has never been allowed by code. Right?

G
That is not legal, nor is simply converting old computer room space to office space, retaining the raised floor for a "convienient" wiring bay. When computers stopped being an acre of boxes and became a rack they had lots of raised floor real estate. It ends up being an office but they still use the floor for a plenum and they lose all the breaks they got in 645.

Greg Fretwell
G
Greg, are you sure about this?
Even under a computer room raised floor you need plenum rated power cords. There are always going to be receptacles but they will be IEC309s or Russell Stolls, not the usual NEMA 5-15
I thought that the cord and the wiring method to the receptacle were the only issues. please educate me.

George Little
G
Actually Ron hit the code issue. (listed "DP" cable)
The reason you don't see regular receptacles under the floor is you don't want to crash the system because someone yanked the wrong cable and pulls out a plug to a critical box.

Greg Fretwell
G
I don't wish to start a fight over the issue, but I don't think it is as clear cut as it could be ...

I can certainly run a standard cord under a table. I can carpet my floor with tables. I can place the recept below table ehight. I can walk on top of the tables and place my furniture on top of the tables.

I used the word "table" where most people would use the word "floor."

G
I can call my pool a bathtub but that doesn't mean the AHJ will let me ignore 680.
If your AHJ decides your tables are really a floor you will have to follow the rules about penetrations.
Virtually all computer room floors are plenums, moving environmental air. That is why they have the rules about cable flamability.
There are also recognized office floor duct systems so we want to be sure what we are talking about here.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard