ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 532 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#92105 03/02/05 06:56 PM
There is no reference in this thread to moving a fixture location. A fixture was not installed that was shown on the approved drawing. No big deal, but when do you call it quits? How far does it go until it becomes the AHJ's business? (I won't ask this question again if you choose to ignore it again)

Is the whole idea of Plan Check and approved plans something you haven't dealt with before?

The approval and permit process is in essence your contract with the AHJ. If you change something, you must resubmit, just like it was a change order.
I connected a pair of resi AC condensers yesterday, and the locations had to be approved by the planning dept. before the AC guy or I could pull a permit.

If you don't like the concept, don't work in the Cities that require it. But if you decide to work there, follow the rules and have the stamped plans ready when they come to inspect it.
Maybe distasteful but quite simple.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#92106 03/02/05 09:09 PM
A
Scott,

I fixed my spelling mistakes to make you happy. Now you can work on your words:
Should
Supplement
Supplemental

Maybe you should start you own spelling forum seeing as your so good at it.

Update
The following has done at this job:
-No ground rods, only a cold water ground
-The (not my) architect will turn in as built drawings to match the (not my) designers lighting details
-Two 3/8” remodel can light feeds were replaced with 1/2” Greenfield

As far as plan check and approval yes every print gets turned in. But what gets done with them sometimes including this case is a joke. Nothing was checked on the electrical plans.

Yes A/C condensers locations need to be approved here also. Local laws dictate where it can not go. This is so it can not be too close to the lot line, an adjacent house, or an eye sore in the front yard. What does that have to do with where a can light is inside a home? We don’t have energy laws here. We don’t have limits or minimum requirements beyond the NEC.

The debate here is how much leeway an EC should have with a residential indoor lighting layout. The inspector had a problem with 1 can too many, 3 too few, location as far as 1 not being in the middle of the room but in line with others, and another location issue. Like I said the issue will be resolved with the as built drawings.

As far as waiting for an inspector with the stamped plans there is no requirement for the EC to be present during an inspection.

#92107 03/02/05 09:41 PM
Nobody said you had to be there. The stamped prints do, though.

Although it sounds like your inspector may be a bit overboard on the issue, he's really just following his Code as it's written for his jurisdiction.. Maybe he got stung by a seat of the pants electrician. [Linked Image]

Please don't get me confused with the other Scott. I can spell as well as he can, but I don't enjoy picking on others. I haven't even pointed out his spelling errors [Linked Image]

#92108 03/03/05 07:28 PM
E
Frum knowe on, noe huemour aloud hear! [Linked Image] Wow, touchy bunch.

#92109 03/03/05 09:00 PM
The humor usually is put in the form of insults to people that disagree

#92110 03/07/05 10:05 PM
S
It's 'you're' so good at it. Sorry just had to jump in to the spelling/grammar forum.

If the amendments don't say no ground rod, then 'nicely' show him the code section you wish to follow. If something goes wrong, guess who will have immunity from prosecution. If insistent, ask him how long he worked for the City of Chicago and tell him that even Chicago now requires a ground rod (or other supplemental electrode).

As far as the light goes it may be picky, until the owner decides he really wanted 4 cans instead of 3 and bitches at the inspector for not enforcing what was on the plans. It happens more than you may realize. Owners like to use inspectors as a tool to get every non written contractual element out of the contractor. All at the same time, I'd probably let that one go.

Use AC cable to fish the wall.

Make a plan that shows possible future use of the existing stuff in the wall. Maybe a computer network cable or something not yet invented.

#92111 03/14/05 10:11 PM
H
Just my 2 cents here guys, When I do plan review and I see a Licensed Ec on the job, I am not so "Picky" about the drawings because I know that the EC knows the code and it is usually meets the code when I get there. If I see the homeowner sign the permit, then I am more careful about his prints. I want to know that they have the proper spacing of receptacles, etc. If I go out to the job and see that a light fixture is moved by a few feet, no big deal. However if the HVAC is moved from one side of the house to the other, then there might be a problem with Zoning. The Zoning people look at the prints to make sure HVAC and Gens are not too close to a neighbor.

#92112 03/14/05 10:24 PM
M
Hi,
I hope you are making a lot of money for putting up with all that BS!

Does this house have a nuclear reactor and a fuel pool too?

My guess it that the rest of the house will fall down and the electrical will remain standing!

regards

Greg

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard