ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#92095 03/01/05 02:18 PM
H
How about MC cable?

This is "pipe land" and anything other than EMT, RMC and sometimes NMC cannot be used.

I have never had an inspector make an issue about residental plans. Rarely is there an electrical plan and no one needs to approve. Inspector inspects what you have installed.

I suppose submitting an electrical plan can eliminate alot of mistakes but that depends on who is approving them.

-Hal

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#92096 03/01/05 07:55 PM
A
"Welcome to the big world."

Do they use ground rods in the big world?

"How about MC cable?"
electure:
Local amendment article 334 not enacted (no MC cable)

Stamcam already brought up the 350-10. Does a remodel can not qualify for a lighting tap 3/8 greenfield with ground <6'?

Talked with archetect today and he will make as built lighting drawings to submit to the village.

What is there to "approve" with residential living space lighting? Do you have a switched outlet or any type of light fixture? Besides 3 ways what more is there to approve?

Is it a buildings inspectors job to enforce the exact layout of lighting fixtures. The print shows cans dead center in the room and for all our safety thats where it's got to be. At least not without an "Architect" to sign off to say we will be safe to put a light fixture in a slightly different location.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Active 1 (edited 03-02-2005).]

#92097 03/01/05 08:01 PM
H
Is it a buildings inspectors job to enforce the exact layout of lighting fixtures. The print shows cans dead center in the room and for all our safty thats where it's got to be. At least not without an arkitect to sign off to say we will be safe to put a light ficture in a slightly different location.

You left out the part about the inspector being the mayor's brother-in-law. [Linked Image]

-Hal

#92098 03/01/05 09:40 PM
I didn't say anything about your ground rod, and believe you're right.

If you submitted plans for approval, you should install what was approved. The inspector isn't and shouldn't be required to make calls on your planning, or lack thereof.
If the designer decides to addfixtures, should an inspector ignore it as a design issue? Should he buy 3/8" flex used contrary to Code because you don't like working with the minimum?
Apparently you haven't gotten energy regulations that dictate the lighting that you have in residential. Time will fix that. You'll get them.

Is there a difference between commercial and residential work with regards to approved plans and following them? Will they let you go into a store or office and put in whatever you want regardless of what was approved?

My only point was that if you had to submit plans, then you have to follow them. We'd eat dirt if we didn't in this area. Maybe it's regional. It's a big World [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 03-01-2005).]

#92099 03/01/05 10:39 PM
H
I don't know about your part of the country, but here in NJ if we really don't like the AHJ, we can go to the " Court of Appeal." Which really is a set of 5 people who sit on a panel and they either decide in your favor or the AHJ's favor. These 5 people are usually made up of a Plumbing inspector, Electrical inspector, Building inspector, and a fire code oficial, and the last person could be almost anyone. A GC, and architect, engineer, etc. You might lose some time and it might cost you but if you feel that you are right you can take your chance.

#92100 03/01/05 10:40 PM
E
I can't let this go. I tried. I really did. The word is "Architect"!

#92101 03/01/05 11:00 PM
Scott - [Linked Image] - I really wondered if you could [Linked Image]

#92102 03/02/05 02:50 AM
G
Active 1 ---

There should be 2 electrical plans.

One plan for the inspector. It is as close to blank as possible. I prefer a statement saying only "electrical to conform to xxxx NEC."

One plan for the installer. It should specify only those parts of the system that are important - placing of important recepts and lights, placement of subpanels, how the circuits are spread over the building, which side of doors light switches are on, where to drill holes in LVLs.

The less there is on the plans, the closer the installer can work using the methods and techniques he is comfortable with.

#92103 03/02/05 01:05 PM
G
My favorite builder spray paints the location of critical outlets, switches etc on the floor. That makes it easier than sorting through 20 pages of change orders to see where the TV or phone goes and there isn't any question which side of the door the switch goes on. Of course this is only as good as the plans they give her.

Greg Fretwell
#92104 03/02/05 04:45 PM
H
If you submitted plans for approval, you should install what was approved. The inspector isn't and shouldn't be required to make calls on your planning, or lack thereof.
If the designer decides to addfixtures, should an inspector ignore it as a design issue?

I have a real problem with this concept. I can see submitting plans with receptacle locations and fixture locations ONLY for the purpose of ensuring that their spacing and location satisfies the code. Other than that what the h**l business is it of the inspector and building department?

This business of measuring locations and comparing them to the dimensions on the "approved" drawings is asinine and looks more like abuse of power than anything else.

-Hal

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard