ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#91855 02/09/05 04:42 PM
G
How important is it that a sign such as covered in Article 600 of the NEC, be Listed? Do the inspectors across this BB insist on a Listed marking on signs? Additionally, do they ask that the signs get a "sidewalk inspection" before they are installed on the wall?

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#91856 02/09/05 08:40 PM
C
George I'm sure you know this but I will list for the forum.

600.3 Listing.
Electric signs and outline lighting — fixed, mobile, or portable — shall be listed and installed in conformance with that listing, unless otherwise approved by special permission.

In some cases the components with in the sign are listed and the enclosure must be evaluated by the AHJ.

In our area most of the sign companies hold a masters electricians license, In Mass thats a contractors license.(State Regs).

I am aware that in some cases the inspectors will visit the place of business where the signs are assembled, but all to often the signs are up before the Inspector arrives.

Hope that helps

Charlie

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 02-09-2005).]

#91857 02/10/05 10:44 PM
George:
Here in my areas of NJ the 'sign' must have a UL label.
As to the sidewalk inspection; 99.9% not a chance in hexx. They are up when we get the call.
'Signs' (boxes/channel letters) are usually not a 'problem', it's the NEON work (outline lighting & 'skeleton neon') that's the problem children.

BTW, do you have the mysterious midnight sign & neon guys in your area, or are they a NY metro area anomoly?? Leave a strip mall at 3:00PM, happen back at 7:30AM, and 'poof' there's a new neon install!!

John

John
#91858 02/11/05 12:59 AM
G
The motive behind my question was to find out if there were any cases where the sign was not Listed but was- "approved by special permission."

The reason for a sidewalk inspection in my jurisdiction would be to assure that it's Listed before it is installed. We all know that a sign company can't label a sign in the field per UL guidelines.

Another reason would be for inspection of workmanship and code compliance with Article 600 NEC.

Riding in a bucket is okay when you are inspecting a field installed outline lighting sign but IMHO a box sign or raceway mounted sign should get a sidewalk inspection.

As for "special permission" - in lieu of "Listed" it ain't gonna happen on my watch.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 02-11-2005).]

George Little
#91859 02/11/05 02:01 AM
D
George, I think that one requirement speaks volumes. Just by requiring a sign to be listed, the NEC has added a whole series of standards to the requirements for a sign that might otherwise need to be inserted into the language of the code such as UL 48 or UL 1433.
Signs installed in our jurisdiction are required to bear a listing mark. As for sidewalk inspections, we usually don't get called for the inspection until we send the cotractor a notice of violation reminding him he has to get his sign inspected.

Link Copied to Clipboard