ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Charlie- Vest pocket rules are those rules that the inspector uses because he don't know any better. Vest pocket rules are the ones they used to quote me when I was an installer and I'd say "Mr. Inspector, I have to get paid for this change order so can you show me in the code where it says that?" Typical response was - "I'll let it go this time, but don't do it again" The only place those rules exist is in his vest pocket, not in any code book. About 10 years ago, Michigan started requiring inspectors to have continuing education requirements and code update classes. as a result, we don't have as many vest pocket rules.
Who you kidding Charlie, you know about vest pocket rules, and your just messing with me [Linked Image]

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I
"Inspectors are so overworked around here I wonder how they find anything.
(30 or more a day)"

True, possibly qualifies as understatement of the year. They run em ragged round here.
Ian

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 02-01-2005).]

S
cpal...it is a Massachusetts requirement [Linked Image]Excuse me guys, thats the way we have been wiring switched plugs for years.

It does make sense though...switch the top and bottom of a receptacle and it doesn't leave any "live" outlet when the switch is off...break out the extension cords [Linked Image]

shortcircuit

G
I asked my favorite builder and she says if there is one "half hot" or a ceiling fixture, they can switch both sides of the rest in a room. A way of confirming Shortcircuit's intrepretation. ... in the roundabout way of trade rules.
It does make sense.
"That one" is my lighting outlet and the rest are receptacles ... that happen to have a switch on them.

Greg Fretwell
C
George Your right I am aware of the "vest pocket rule" although I was raised to recognize it as a message from GOD.

Charlie

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard