ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#91606 01/27/05 01:43 PM
G
George Little ---

The recept is not regulated by the NEC until it is installed. So do not complain to the UL about violations of the NEC.

It could be installed under proper cover. In which case all is fine.

If the generator and attached recept is not installed under proper cover, then you have the right to reject the equipment. Perhaps suggesting a cover would be a polite way of assisting the installer.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#91607 01/27/05 07:49 PM
I
George I do not believe the NEC applies to this factory installed receptacle.

IMO 90.7 makes this clear, here is the second paragraph.

It is the intent of this Code that factory-installed internal wiring or the construction of equipment need not be inspected at the time of installation of the equipment, except to detect alterations or damage, if the equipment has been listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory that is recognized as having the facilities described in the preceding paragraph and that requires suitability for installation in accordance with this Code.

I agree with Kent that this would be no different than an inspector refusing a stove for a 310.16 violation.

How about a dishwasher? All the wiring is out in the open using the floor, wall and cabinet sides as an electrical enclosure.

I think it would be a great idea if UL did require a good quality in use cover on these unit. [Linked Image]

I do not believe it is within the local inspectors jurisdiction to require it.

JMO, Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#91608 01/28/05 08:23 PM
G
iwire ---

I believe what you are saying is:

If a manufacturer produces a non-weatherproof recept with pigtails on it, you must allow it to be used where a weatherproof recepticle is required.

The generator, is the pigtail, of the non-weatherproof recept in the current question.

#91609 01/28/05 10:29 PM
G
Well -Gentlemen and ladies if any, I have taken the first step in the UL process of filing a Field Report and it looks like I have been vindicated but only time will tell. Any one interested in seeing a picture of the issue in question just drop me an e-mail with the word "Generator" in the Subject line.

George Little
#91610 01/29/05 09:36 AM
E
In Massachusetts 90.4 is ammended to say "The authority having jurisdiction shall accept listed and labeled equipment or materials where used or installed in accordance with instructions included with the listing and labeling."
So I would say in MA you would have no authority to have this cover changed.

#91611 01/29/05 12:55 PM
I
George

iwire ---
I believe what you are saying is:

If a manufacturer produces a non-weatherproof recept with pigtails on it, you must allow it to be used where a weatherproof receptacle is required.

The generator, is the pigtail, of the non-weatherproof recept in the current question.

I disagree, the generator is UL listed as entire assembly like an appliance.

A "non-weatherproof recept with pigtails on it" would only be listed as a small part of a whole, a component of a larger assembly.

The listing for the receptacle you describe would require it to be an enclosure.

IMO it is not the same.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#91612 01/29/05 05:00 PM
M
do you know what the intended use of the receptacle is? look at 406.8 (B) (2) (b),
does not require in use covers. maybe the
generator specs show the intended use of that receptacle. code ref. is 2002 NEC

#91613 01/29/05 06:34 PM
R
I know scott mentioned that in MA they have amended the NEC to say listed products must be accepted.
(I know some hate the idea of the NEC being amended)
That is not the case every where. Just because a testing lab list a product, it does not mean the product has to be approved by the AHJ.

#91614 01/29/05 08:30 PM
G
Russ- I could not agree with you more. The fact that a product has a Listing by UL or any other other testing lab does not make it safe or code compliant. Some of the worst signs I have inspected have a UL sticker on them. If you've ever attended an IAEI Section meeting and were able to attend an inspector/UL meeting you'd know how much UL relies on the feed back from contractor and inspectors. The item in this thread is a classic example of something UL needs feedback on.

George Little
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard