ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#91440 01/16/05 05:57 PM
L
Question
Why not require GFI receptacles for washing machines ?
We need them on spas,hot tubs, garages, basements commercial kitchens, 6' from sinks, outside etc etc.
Why not the 4' tall x 3' wide x 3' deep box of steel we fill to the top with water
Think about it

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#91441 01/16/05 06:04 PM
I
IMO it will eventually be required.

I believe most of the present GFCI locations have had a 'body count' available to justify the requirement.

If someone can show the need by way of electrocutions from washing machines it would probably get into the NEC.

6' from sinks

That is not all sinks, only 'wet bar sinks'

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#91442 01/16/05 07:03 PM
P
I disagree with you Bob, about the body count.

I think if GFI's can get past the inductive load problems the code writers will have less reason to not require them. Given better and less expensive technology in the future I would expect more requirement with or without more dead people.

For right now I would agree that they're not wanted where they're not needed because they can cause more problems than they solve.

Sam, San Francisco Bay Area
#91443 01/16/05 07:05 PM
P
Hey, you weren't a moderator. Were you?

#91444 01/16/05 07:14 PM
I
Sam I agree to some extent.

But IMO the NEC is not really worried about nuisance tripping as evidenced by the commercial kitchen requirement. That includes refrigerators.

Also consider that pool pumps and the all the power tools on a job site work fine on a GFCI.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#91445 01/16/05 07:19 PM
P
I like the job site tools one the best. I don't know how many times Iv'e been told that GFI's never nuisance trip because of that. [Linked Image]

#91446 01/16/05 07:23 PM
P
That is a good point though, and I agree the NEC guys don't care too much, but, is there like a difference in manufacturer or something that accounts for some applications not being a problem while others are?

#91447 01/16/05 07:34 PM
I
I like the job site tools one the best. I don't know how many times Iv'e been told that GFI's never nuisance trip because of that

Sam I am not sure what you mean here.

I believe that almost all GFCI tripping can be traced to a 'real' problem.

Every appliance is likely to have leakage current, running to many items from on GFCI is not a good plan as the cumulative leakage current.

Long branch circuits can also cause problems.

Then of course you could just have a faulty appliance.

My sump pump in my basement happens to be on a GFCI and it runs a 3 or 4 times an hour when it rains. It has never tripped the GFCI. [Linked Image] When it does I will buy a new pump.

The engineered prints I work from will specify a separate GFCI receptacle for every location that needs one, no using GFCI breakers, or coming off the load side of another GFCI outlet.

This is also how we do job temps, normal breakers with a GFCI receptacle at the point of use.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#91448 01/16/05 07:55 PM
P
Well, you seem to be on the side of those who would say that GFI's wont nuisance trip now.

Will they or wont they?

Some of those who say that they wont will site as evidence that they can run power tool from them.

If it is a current leak it is necessarilly not a nuisance trip.

I will say this much. I don't really know what causes the nuisance tripping. But my instinct tells me it's not always current outside the intended path.

#91449 01/16/05 09:52 PM
E
------------------------------------
I don't really know what causes the nuisance tripping.
-----------------------------------

In a word, inductance. A GFI trips when the source current to the load does not equal the return current from the load. One of the characteristics of inductance is that the current thru such a load cannot change instantaneously. Thus if you provide a unit step of source current to an inductive load, the return current from that load will have an inherent rise time (delay). During this delay there will be a difference in current between the source and the return. This difference in current is not leakage current to ground but rather a difference due to the characteristics of inductance. Nonetheless, the GFI doesn't know that and will theerfore (nuisance) trip. How much difference in current there is and the duration of the delay is dependent on the inductive
characteristics of the load.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard