ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#91248 01/12/05 01:36 AM
K
kd Offline
Does within sight of mean "within 50 feet?" The inspectors in my conty want a disconnect about 5 to 20 feet from the spa.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#91249 01/12/05 01:41 AM
C
Article 100
In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be “in sight from,” “within sight from,” or “within sight,” and so forth, of another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

#91250 01/12/05 08:46 PM
C
I had an inspector "gig" my hot tub disco because it was not insight of those that were sitting in the hot tub!!! [Linked Image]
The hot tub was/is located in a "kick-out" section of the pool deck and the disco was mounted on the pool wall so that if one were sitting in the tub, the disco would not be in sight but if one were working on the equipment with the front panel of the tub removed, the disco would be staring you in the face if you glanced to your left.
No matter how hard I tried to explain to her that the intent of the disco was for the safety of the person working on the tub and not for the person using the tub, she would not budge. Talk about stubborn and bull-headed.
To get the occupancy permit, I simply exchanged the disco for a 6X6 PVC junction box and extended a piece of pipe up to above the pool wall where I mounted the disco so it could be seen by those enjoying a soak in the hot tub. The dang thing looked like a periscope! Once the final inspection was obtained, I located the disco back to its original state. The GC was happy to compensate me for the time and materials to get the final CO. Talk about jumping through hoops to accomodate a bull headed inspector...sheesh! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Coastal (edited 01-12-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard