ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#91072 12/28/04 01:48 PM
R
Looked in ag sections..What wiring methods are permissable for horse barn.Can I use nm cable or would bx be best option to prevent rat chews need some opionons on this.One big question is are the stalls recps. required to weather proof covers since they under roof?
Thanks

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#91073 12/28/04 03:59 PM
S
IMHO, you could use NMC.... but, I have concerns aboout whether you can install it exposed in a horse barn.

I started a thread on a similar topic about barns at a fairgrounds: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000775.html

Horse barns at fairgrounds that have been recently wired are typically all wired in RMC or Schedule 80 PVC.

While 547.5 allows the use of NMC... 547 is silent on whether or not it can be installed exposed, which leads me to believe that it must be concealed.

Horse barns are notorious for dust and cobwebs, which is why they are prone to fires. I think that if you installed NMC exposed you would have trouble complying with paragraph (C) of this section:
(C) Equipment Enclosures, Boxes, Conduit Bodies, and Fittings.
(1) Excessive Dust. Equipment enclosures, boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings installed in areas of buildings where excessive dust may be present shall be designed to minimize the entrance of dust and shall have no openings (such as holes for attachment screws) through which dust could enter the enclosure.

However, others may differ with my opinion. Let's see what other responses you get.

Edited to add 547.5(C)

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 12-28-2004).]

#91074 12/28/04 04:16 PM
P
Where I'm at we'd have to use EMT for a wiring meathod becauase of local amendments. Your Building Dept. could tell you if it's different from NEC.

As for wheather proof, it's not required if under a roof or covered. I can't find the code though.

Safetygem,

I thought you were going for classified until I looked it up.

So here's my take:

547.1(A) is conditional. It says where there's exessive dust.

And I don't know if a horse is livestock. Don't you eat livestock?

Is there a need for GFCI?

Sam, San Francisco Bay Area
#91075 12/28/04 09:39 PM
W
In my area the like to see the lights to be vapor proof jelly jars, you can put up to 200 watt bulbs in them and they're cheap.

#91076 12/29/04 12:37 PM
S
I have seen all sorts of wiring methods in these areas (inspecting old work) and I would highly recommend against using NM or NMC/UF type cables. The cloth type seem to hold up, but way to often I have come across rodent damaged conductors with the plastic styles. I will try to remember a camera for next time.

Of interest, I have not found rodent damged conductors inside heated buildings yet, though I have found many conductor damged rodents there.

Shane

#91077 12/29/04 01:41 PM
P
I like the "conductor damaged rodents" part. [Linked Image]

Sam, San Francisco Bay Area
#91078 12/31/04 10:43 AM
H
What I have seen used in horse barns is UF wire as long as it was not subject to physical damage. Where the wire was down low, the wire was protected with PVC pipe. All wiring in the building was weatherpoof with covers on all the GFI's. They used "Jelly jars" for lights with a cage around them to protect the glass. If the service panel is located in an "Office" or storage area that wasn't too dusty a regular panel I guess would be OK. If the panel was out in the dusty area, then you would might have to use the outdoor style of panel.

Link Copied to Clipboard