ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
Why does this section of the NEC specifically require that receptacles adjacent to the mirror and above the counter be controlled by switches, and why does it require a pilot light outside the dressing-room door?

I wondered whether there might have been some incidents in the past of hair-curling tongs or something similar being left on and causing a fire, hence the exterior pilot lights which could be checked by somebody just walking down the corridor.

However, I've looked back at the same rule in the 1971 code and the different wording makes me question that:
520-73. Switches required. All lights and receptacles in dressing rooms shall be controlled by wall switches installed in the dressing rooms. Each switch controlling receptacles shall be provided with a pilot light to indicate when the receptacle or receptacles are energized.

No mention of the pilot having to be outside in that earlier edition, but it requires all receptacles to be switched, not just ones by the mirror/counter.

Can anybody explain the reasoning behind 520-73 and the progression from the 1971 version to today's version?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-25-2004).]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Tom Offline
i can't explain the progression, but judging by the commentary in the handbook, creative types aren't too good about unplugging their coffee pots& other heat producing devices in their rush to get out of the theater after a performance. The switch is there so it can be easily accomplished.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Y
Reason
During preformances there are Quick and hurried costume changes. They'd found they leave cloths all over during theses hurried changes hanging even on dressing room lights. Curling iron left on ect. Thus many changing room fires. With piolt light and switch they know all lights out. Not the best BUT safer.

S
Now here's something stupid, but I was just wondering why there were so many switches with pilot lights on my dressing room. Having never used the rooms except for dressing it never occurred to me what they were even for since they did not control the lights.

Learned something new again today.

Thanks, Shane (P.E. and in Ballet? Something must be wrong.)

P
pauluk Offline OP
Thanks for the explanation guys. I guessed that the exposed lamps around the mirrors along cord-connected devices being left on was probably the reason, but it was just the change from the 1971 to the 2002 version I could not figure out.

Maybe the original version of this rule required switches for all receptacles, and it was later proposed that this was overkill, that only receptacles on or near the counter-top need be switched, so it was amended. Sound reasonable?

But what about the pilot lights? If the idea was to allow somebody out in the corridor to see if recepts had been left energized, why does the earlier version of the code not specify pilots outside? The way it's worded would allow the pilot to be on the switch inside, which surely defeats the purpose?

Or was the original intent that an inside pilot would remind people to switch off before running out, and when it was found this didn't always work the code was changed to require an external warning?

Link Copied to Clipboard