ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Does anyone know if these are available yet?

440.65 Leakage Current Detection and Interruption (LCDI) and Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI).

Single-phase cord-and-plug-connected room air conditioners shall be provided with factory-installed LCDI or AFCI protection.

The LCDI or AFCI protection shall be an integral part of the attachment plug or be located in the power supply cord within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Ron Offline

Ron
Thanks Ron, I have seen that product at trade shows. The rule calls for "factory installed ...." so the Fireshield may be what is used. I wondered if the AC units are or will become available with the AFCI, etc., installed. I am sure we wouldn't want to see someone replace the cord on a unit.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
This has been in the code since 2002 but I have never been sure how you enforce it.
Does this mean anyone with a window shaker that preceeds this requirement has to throw it away?
I have never actually seen one. I guess the next time I am in Home Depot I will look at the floor models. Can I red tag the units if the AFCIs aren't there :-)

Greg Fretwell
T
What we are talking about is UL listed portable appliances. So if it has a listing mark and there is no evidence of modification it is beyond the inspectors perview.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
R
How do requirements for "plug-in" appliances fit the scope of the NEC?
[quote]90.2 Scope.
(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation of electric conductors, electric equipment, signaling and communications conductors and equipment, and fiber optic cables and raceways for the following:[/quiote]
In my opinion plug-in equipment is "used", not installed. The NEC should stop at the receptacle and let the product safety standards cover the plug-in equipment. If we keep adding rules to cover plug-in equipment the code will soon be a multi-volume book.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
G
It's what I call "code creep". Immersion detectors on hair dryers have been in the code for a few cycles (also unenforceable). We are going to be inspecting table lamps and clock radios soon.

Greg Fretwell
G
Greg- You guys are starting to scare me. It looks like all the people have to do is unplug the questionable equipment and the code is satisfied. What about heat tapes for ice melting? What about portable signs? What about swimming pool equipment? We're suppost to protect the public interest. If I/we don't say something about the non code compliant equipment and they run into trouble with it, they come back and say "Why didn't you tell us"? The attorneys will have a hay day with that one.

George Little
G
"It looks like all the people have to do is unplug the questionable equipment and the code is satisfied."

Is part of the final inspection going to be searching the moving van for unlisted equipment?
I can understand "fixed in place" cord and plug connected being subject to inspection on the final but what can we do about things that the new owner brings with him or buys after the CO? (Window shakers and hair dryers) How is that our business? Are we supposed to be raiding flea markets and looking for listing tags at the Home Depot?

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard