ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 486 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#90920 12/31/04 08:59 PM
Tom Offline
Harold,

The same complaints that you're making about 3rd party inspectors are also made about contractors. [Linked Image] By the time my phone rings after hours or on a weekend, the caller has been through about 10 answering machines or, if they did reach a live person got an incredulous "you want it when?"

It's all about service. There are those that offer it & those that can't bother with being inconvenienced I offer it as an electrical contractor and as an inspector. Of course, if you call me out on a weekend for either, you will be paying more.

Anyway, if you ever go back into contracting, let me know. My rates are reasonable for an inspection, though the travel charges might be a bit much for you to handle. [Linked Image]

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90921 01/01/05 09:56 AM
P
I own a 3rd party inspection company [Linked Image].
On Christmas eve, we had 9 homes get hit by high voltage. We arrived on the job 20 minutes after receiving our call on our cell phones.
My company has a live person answer the office phone from 7 am to 6pm. The inspectors all have company phones that are on 24/7. We have very good response times, even for nonemergencies - I am very proud of that.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#90922 01/01/05 10:21 AM
I
We have very good response times, even for nonemergencies - I am very proud of that.

You should be proud of that. [Linked Image]

That is IMO the most important service you can provide your customers.

I am proud of the company I work for, we will be at our customers door most times in less than 1 hour and we can mobilize a very large workforce and the materials to work with in just a few hours if needed.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#90923 01/01/05 01:26 PM
Pierre

Your success will be because of the fact that you and your partner are concerned with the end result that will ensure safety!

I am sure that there are many others in the same business who feel this way by, but because of competition, cannot do a completely thorough job.

No one is perfect, and we all will miss something, that's a fact!

In the short time that I have known you, I believe you are going to become very successful.

PS: Are there any current job openings for IAEI Certified Electrical Inspectors in your company?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#90924 01/02/05 07:42 PM
P
Thanks Bob and Joe

Yes Joe there are openings for certified inspectors in my company - if you are interested, you would be very welcome.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
#90925 01/02/05 07:55 PM
Pierre:

You are welcome! Do your inspectors use the 2002 NEC, or the 1999 NYC/NEC?

Joe

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#90926 01/03/05 04:54 PM
Pierre:
You sound like you run a very organized ship. There's NO WAY that I could get an AHJ in 20-30 min. Nor, as a P/T AHJ, could I respond in that time frame. Very rarely does the Twp I work for do "off-hours" inspections; I did one about 6 weeks ago on a Saturday, along with Building & Plumbing. That was OT.

My best to you & yours, have a healthy & happy New Year.

John

John
#90927 01/03/05 11:11 PM
H
Tom,

As a contractor, I too was called out on every day of the week and In the 15 years that I was in business, I think I went out on every holiday that you can think of. New Years, Thanksgiving, etc. There was always something that went wrong and being the owner of my small business, I did the holiday work. I feel like Pierre and John and Bob does, that if you love your work, and if you have a good conscience, you will take good care of your customers. As an AHJ, all of my towns have needed me on weekends already and yes, I have gone out on Sat. and Sun. for inspections. Like the time a school needed to open up on a mon. or the time there was an elec. fire and the people needed heat and the service turned back on, etc. IMHO it is just part of the job. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard