ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90893 12/17/04 09:41 AM
M
Hi,
Can I use #14 wire to feed 4 lamp post 10 feet from the inside wall of a permanently installed pool, and 2 underwater lights from the same circuit?

Thanks for any replies.

-regards

Greg

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90894 12/17/04 01:46 PM
S
Mustang...there isn't enough detail in your post to determine an answer...depends how you run the wires...you need #12 grounding conductor for the pool lights to start with...

shortcircuit

#90895 12/17/04 02:33 PM
M
Hi,
I knew you need a #12 for underwater lights but wasnt sure for the 4 post lights.

They are switched seperately.

180W each.

what info do you need?

thanks

greg

[This message has been edited by mustangelectric (edited 12-17-2004).]

#90896 12/17/04 04:03 PM
S
Mustang...How will you run the wiring to the post lights and the wiring to the pool lights?

I would run the post lights seperate from the pool shed sub panel with 14-2 UF wire and then a switch loop from the sub panel to the location of the switch.

Then I would run the branch circuit wiring in RNC to the pool lights from the sub panel and again run the switch loop from the sub panel to the location of the switch.

You see, the wiring method will be determined by a number of considerations as to how the whole project is designed.

Is there a pool shed? Is there a sub panel in the pool shed. Where will the switches be located for the lighting? What type of pool lighting are you installing?

I think you could pigtail the wiring in the panel and hit the same breaker if you are trying to save on the expence of GFCI breakers.

Pool lighting 12 volts or less does't require GFCI protection and the post lights installed more than 10 feet from the inside wall of the pool don't require GFCI protection if proper depths are maintained for each wiring method.

Also most "hard wired" pool pumps don't require GFCI protection.

Of coarse the code is a minimum standard and I would still GFCI protect the posts,pump and lights myself.

shortcircuit

#90897 12/17/04 05:35 PM
G
I tailed my required deck receptacle off the pool light circuit with no problems from Lee County. I can't see how lights would be. Just be sure it is after the pool light J box so your EGC is unspliced to there.
Run it all in #12 in pipe to avoid any problems with that.

Greg Fretwell
#90898 12/17/04 07:30 PM
M
Hi,
Well this is a case of "pool guy electric co" contracting out electrical work. They installed a #8 STRANDED to two underwater lights and all the metal parts (sure they did). They ran 2 3/4" conduits near where I placed a 2 gang fs box with a switch loop for the 4 post lights that were part of my job. It looks as if they are planning to use my fs box.

The pool grounding and the underwater lights were not my job.

I did install a sub panel at the pump pad using 1" pvc from a sub panel i recently mounted on the side of the home for a hot tub. I used #4 THWN to feed the 125A panel. It is protected by a 50A breaker. I did this for future expansion purposes, the breaker can be upsized if needed. I used a #8 ground from the first sub to the new panel at the pump pad.

I hardwired the 240 VAC pump with NO GFCI. I hardwired the 240 VAC HEATER UNIT with no GFCI. I used nm liquidtite for this stuff..I placed a 2 gang outlet on the back of the panel with a 20A breaker feeding a GFCI and a slave in it.

i ran a 3/4" pvc conduit from the panel to the fs box then from the panel to the 4 post lights. The post lights also have 3 outlets. I ran 1/2" pvc to all the post lights then back to the panel.
All this is protected by a 15A GFCI breaker and I used #14 THWN for these lights.

What it boils down to is I KNOW the POOL guy will bug onto my lighting/outlet circuit to feed his underwater lights. I was not asked to run him a circuit. He has no circuit over where his switch is supposed to be other than my 15A #14 wire ckt. I did not do this intentionally it just worked out that way.

I was not paid to do any of that work.

That is why I was wondering.

Thanks for the info.

-regards

greg

#90899 12/17/04 08:05 PM
G
The 8ga stranded is OK inside the <plastic> raceway to the niche but the outer lug gets a 8 solid to the bonding grid.

Stop pool boy electric by reminding him the EGC of his pool light needs to be "unspliced" from the J box to the panel

Greg Fretwell
#90900 12/17/04 08:30 PM
M
Hi,
Apparently this outfit does this all the time with no problem.

I posted a thread on this same subject awhile back..

they did a really shabby job of the bonding etc.

The required #8 solid was not used for this part of the job they used #8 stranded. It has more splices in it than a lighting run!

I bet they will use my #14 ground instead of the required #12 ground for their circuit.

Concrete is all poured!

I think all my stuff is in right.

Thanks for the comments.

-regards

Greg

Link Copied to Clipboard