ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Hi,
I was looking at the NEC for grounding of underwater pool lights and it says that I need an EGC no smaller than #12, is this correct?

Is this fronm the lights to the switch or to the panel?

Thanks for any replies.

-regards

Greg

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
The #12 insulated grd should be run from the panel to the pool light juction box or listed transformer...and installed in pipe.

A #8 grd wire from the juction box to the forming shell...

OK?

shortcircuit

Z
Must be a solid #8 to the shell.

P
Bonding the forming shell and grounding the pool light are two different issues, both items are addressed in Art 680.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
M
Hi,
The feed is #14 the EGC is #14...The code says #12 for the EGC not the ungrounded or grounded condcutor..

The pool guy is doing this work..

just making sure...

-regards

Greg

G
You need an unspliced #12 from the j box back to the panel
680.23(F)(2)Through-wall lighting assemblies, wet-niche, dry-niche, or no-niche luminaires (lighting fixtures) shall be connected to an insulated copper equipment grounding conductor installed with the circuit conductors. The equipment grounding conductor shall be installed without joint or splice except as permitted in (a)<anpther listed light j box> and (b)<grounding terminals in a switch box that controls the light>. The equipment grounding conductor shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.122 but shall not be smaller than 12 AWG.

He can't splice in a receptacle box or any other box that isn't for switching the light!

As for the ground to the forming shell <in addition to the EGC in the cord> it is either a brass conduit or plastic. If plastic 680.23(B)(2)(b)Nonmetallic Conduit. Where a nonmetallic conduit is used, an 8 AWG insulated solid or stranded copper equipment grounding conductor shall be installed in this conduit unless a listed low-voltage lighting system not requiring grounding is used. The equipment grounding conductor shall be terminated in the forming shell, junction box or transformer enclosure, or ground-fault circuit-interrupter enclosure. The termination of the 8 AWG equipment grounding conductor in the forming shell shall be covered with, or encapsulated in, a listed potting compound to protect the connection from the possible deteriorating effect of pool water.

Note that can be stranded, the ONLY place I know of that specifically allows stranded #8, although some people attempt to make the argument #8 stranded is "larger" than #8 solid thus OK.
I point to 680.26(C) which is pretty unambiguous "(C) Common Bonding Grid. The parts specified in 680.26(B) shall be connected to a common bonding grid with a solid copper conductor, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG."

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard