ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90875 12/16/04 09:08 AM
S
sgreany Offline OP
I have been geting alot of calls lately where homowners insurace are refusing to provide insurance for homes coth knob and tube wiring. The best answer is gut and remodel, but who can afford that? What should I tell these people?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90876 12/16/04 02:15 PM
H
Don't see much choice here. As usual the insurance companies have them by the you know whats. If they want to be insured they have to rewire. This may not be as drastic as a total gut however. As an EC I would use the situation to my advantage and come up with a solution such as maybe financing (work something out with a bank) that would make the work possible for the homeowner.

-Hal

#90877 12/16/04 09:56 PM
E
e57 Offline
A while ago it was the same with fuses on branch circuits. Everytime the insurance policy changed, (when a new owner got the house.) surprise... Panel upgrade!

I imagine that if you must replace the K&T, you'll be dealing with possibly a few fused panels too. Possible lack of grounding etc. I guess it can only stop short of the street, or can it?

An un-edjucated buyer beware.... "What a nice place, I spent my whole wad on it, now I have to completely gut it?!?!"

Not sure how the insurance companies got so much power, but they seem to go through phases of wielding it well with an amount of common sense, and becoming total dictators.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard