ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90612 12/04/04 01:06 PM
J
JG Offline OP
Atr. 300.13-b Do you require all neutrals to be made up prior to a rough. I have noticed more and more not adhering to this practice, just stab and go.
JG

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#90613 12/04/04 01:12 PM
I
Welcome to the forum JG.

I am not an inspector but I do get inspected. [Linked Image]

Here in MA all required splices must be made up prior to rough inspections.

The section you quoted only applies to the neutral of multiwire branch circuits so we do not have to splice the neutrals of two wire circuits.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#90614 12/04/04 01:29 PM
G
The code only requires that the multiwire branch circuit have "pigtail" connections on the grounded conductor so we don't interrupt the connection to the next outlet. Do it anytime you want to. As an inspector, I want to see it so maybe this will be on the final with the cover plates removed and the receptacles dangling so I can see that pigtail [Linked Image]
If I were an installer, I'd do it for inspection on the rough just from a practical approach. Same thing on a NM job, strip and splice out, terminate the grounds if using metal boxes. Not a code requirement but makes it easier for all of us.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 12-04-2004).]

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 12-04-2004).]

George Little
#90615 12/04/04 08:21 PM
B
George, if you don't mind my asking, just what do you really look for at the final? Do you check each and every device? Should they all be hanging out of the box? No cover plates? What about fixtures?
I have done very little new construction and have never been present at a final for new const., so this is why I ask.
Thanks, B

#90616 12/04/04 08:36 PM
I
I could fail a final inspection for a missing cover. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#90617 12/04/04 08:50 PM
E
Splices (especially grounding) are inspected at the rough inspection. How else can this be done? It is not a final inspection if the wires are hanging out of the boxes. Every receptacle is tested and every switch is checked at the final. I do ask the sparky to open the panel for a look at the final, though.

Earl
#90618 12/04/04 08:54 PM
H
As Bob knows , I am an AHJ and it doesn't matter to me if the neutrals are made up in the circuit panel on the rough. Sometimes there is a service inspection between the rough and the final, and I can check the neutrals then. Last but not least, I can still chek out the neutrals at he final inspection. However I do want the neutrals all spliced up in the boxes on the rough inspection. ( Some homeowners don't know that and I fail the rough until they are made up.) On a final inspection I may not check each and every receptacle, but I do check between 80%-90% of all the receptacles in the house on final inspection. If I start seeing reverse polarity or open grounds, then I start checking each and every receptacle.

#90619 12/04/04 10:59 PM
G
On the residential rough inspection I would expect to find the splicing done and any metal boxes bonded on a Romex job and if were a multiwire branch circuit, the grounded conductor "pigtailed". On the final I would expect the circuits to be operational and do a random check with a plug-in tester to check for polarity. I check all AFCI and GFCI devices/breakers. If I run into any polarity issues I ask the contractor to check for polarity on all plugs. If the painter has removed the plates, I will not always cite a violation. I will quite often ask the contractor to open the panel for inspection. Panel ledger marking is a big issue with me. There are a number of things that I'm leaving out but I tried to mention the more common things. I WILL NOT make a punch list for the electrician to use so he knows exactly what he needs to get approval.

George Little
#90620 12/05/04 12:05 AM
J
JG Offline OP
If the device (recepticle)is able to be removed and disrupt the continuity of the neutral, would this not cover two wire circuits. In my state the state code requires all connections to be made up. Are these considered conections? Are recepticles rated as a line load device?(excluding gfi of course)
JG

[This message has been edited by JG (edited 12-04-2004).]

[This message has been edited by JG (edited 12-04-2004).]

#90621 12/05/04 09:39 AM
P
I have noticed no one has mentioned lighting at the final inspection. [Linked Image]

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard